Can someone help me here?

Anton1983

I have started a hip hop song and usually I stick to either a major or minor key for the song. I have started with a melody, (not chords) just keys. Goes G# C# C# C# D# E repeats and then i do exactly the same but This time changing the root... to A instead so it goes A C# C# C# D# E... Now to me it sounds good and not off in anyway but the A key isn't in the scale of G# MINOR NEITHER is it in the key of G# MAJOR.... So can someone tell me if this is acceptable to use the A key and also am I still in G# MINOR as all other keys used are in that scale, just the A key isn't... I UNDERSTAND scales etc but with this track I have just kind of improvised...

Yes, it's acceptable. And yes, you're still in the key of G# Minor. The A is an "accidental" but it's still in the key of G# Minor. That's smart, imo. It adds new vibes to music.

Here, read this first sentence: Accidental (music) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Yea thought I'd try something different this time, i thought it may be an accidental but it sounds good and i like breaking rules!

You ďo mean I'm still in G# MINOR still and not major? There's no E in G# MAJOR... or would that E be accidental as well haha

Doesn't really matter imo. Might as well call it a chromatic scale. Scales are just there for a guide. But considering the melody has an A in it that repeats regularly, it makes more sense to me to go with Phrygian. Unless you expand the melody and the rest will be in G# minor. The way I see it is, the main purpose of scales is to keep the sheet music cleaner and easier to read. Doesn't really matter otherwise.

^ ya, the key signatures are there so the composer/song writer doesn't have to write the "b" and "#", etc next to every note. The key signature that fits most of the notes in song is ideal, ...so exytage is right. However, if there's only one note that falls out of key, and it only appears once or twice, you can mark it as an accidental. if it appears often, find a key that fits it. ...but this is all for sheet music honestly. With our new leap into computer music, things are changing. It's good to know, ...but, play the notes that fit the vibe you want.

Back