Can multiple instruments form a chord ?

D minor for example - which is D-F-A. If I have one instrument playing an A note, another instrument playing an F note and one more instrument playing D how could I arrange it to where it would work? I wanna be able to play several instruments as if there one instrument(if that makes sense). I know I could play them in block chord form but I wanna be able to have each instrument playing one note of each chord without it getting repetitive. For instance, brass playing D which is the root, piano playing F , and maybe a string as the top note. Is their any examples of this being done in a composition ? Or how would an orchestra execute this style of playing ?

this is standard orchestrational practice

so go for it

the only limitations are the range of the instruments and your imagination

by creating melodic lines of equal importance

what you are describing is homo-phonic texture same-sound, not polyphonic many sounds; in the context of using many instruments to allocate the notes of the chord to, you are using doublings at the octave of every chord tone create the texture and most likely using a homo-rhythmic approach: every one using the same rhythm

In a polyphonic texture, every part of the polyphonic texture is melodically and rhythmically independent of others, but may also be doubled using homo-phonic and homo-rhythmic techniques to allow for each line to maintain its individuality in what could otherwise become a mess; it is normal to hear different parts being played by strings, brass and winds in orchestral writing as well as hearing everyone thumping out the same melodico-harmonic idea at different points

View attachment example track.mp3 Here's an example of a beat I started on. I have each instrument playing a note of each chord. So what does this sound like as far as texture ? Its like I know how to do what im doing but I don't exactly know the name for it . I just wanna know so I can get more in depth with composing this way.

Back