Can I make great beats in FL Studio with Nexus as the only paid plugin?

ronz.ombie

I guess it helps if there are free sound packs out there that are high quality. Can you suggest some good places to find those? Also, in many of the Youtube tutorials I watched they use paid plugins and it's always a little off-putting when that happens so what do you usually do in that situation?

I think Nexus is cool
the challenge here is to understand the synth
to know what those knobs can do
its not too much about what you work with, it is more about how you work with that

there was days when I was searching for new plugins, new presets and all that, but when I seen people doing cool stuff with 3xOSC I was like WTF? So I got to understand there is no problem with the plugins the problem is that I had to learn how to work with those and that was kinda disappointing but when you start to pay more attention to all those you sure succeed

I guess it helps if there are free sound packs out there that are high quality. Can you suggest some good places to find those? Also, in many of the Youtube tutorials I watched they use paid plugins and it's always a little off-putting when that happens so what do you usually do in that situation?

You can make great stuff with Nexus, its a pretty versatile VST. I would suggest as stated above you get familiar with it and learn a bit about sound design, this should allow you to tweak settings and build the sounds you want so you're not using everything that everyone else is.

Nexus is quite good. You can make most genres of Music in Nexus. All it really takes is an Idea. On top of that, Fl studio is packed with great plugins like Sytrus and 3xOsc. If you are struggling form a lack of plugins though, you could use KVR to find what you want. A favourite free plugin of mine is T-force alpha plus, do I recommend that.

you can make great music in FL regardless of what plugins you use, freeware or paid. plugins like nexus only make the job a little easier and the rest boils down to creativity, i use mostly synth1 and soundfonts to make my music and im using a low powered system which is a bit of a challenge at times.

Yes. You may have heard the saying in the beat community, "it's the user not the software." Basically, if you know what you're doing you can make amazing music with just the default plugins on any major daw. That is not recommended if you plan on making a career out of making music at all, but good tracks can definitely be made without paying a cent (without pirating either). It just boils down to how well you know your DAW and the tools it already has.

Nexus will work fine for you, but eventually you may want to invest in a good synth such as Sylenth1 or Massive.

Last edited:
You can make great beats in FL fruity edition with no paid plugins at all.

Most beginners spend too much money on things because they think the reason they're music is bad is because they haven't brought x plugin or x piece of hardware, or their samples aren't 'quality'.

In reality, their music is bad because they're beginners and it takes years to get good at this stuff whatever you're using.

Last edited:
A little tip for Nexus which took me a while to find out, is when you select a Preset, go to the Mix tab on the right hand side of the preset window, and you can individually select the components of the sound, so you can mute undesirable things, like a high end whistle or booming bass which doesn't work with the sound you want. Most of the Presets use a combination of 4 individual sounds, so you can alter the presets a lot.

Of course you can! To be quite honest, you could make great tracks without Nexus at all! You could always change up how the preset sounds in the mixer, add on some effects adjust frequency, etc. And there are definitely some great free kits out there for you to take advantage off!

Can I also add that if you are only going to get one plugin, don't get Nexus, cause you can't do sound design with it.

Get something you can use to design your own sounds and you can do everything in Nexus + way more for less money (if you learn how)

I recommend drum kits. The default drum kicks, snares, hats, etc just don't have the punch and sizzle that quality drum hits have. Nexus might cover ya for the melody work (idk, i haven't used Nexus).

Back