Can anyone tell me where to start with these synths? (yung gud)

D33r_boy

I love Yung Gud's production style, its deep and heavy but there's a few synths he seems to always return to. I've been trying to reproduce them with no luck.

The first synth is dark and bassy and comes in this song very prominently around the 3:45 mark of this track: soundcloud.com/gud-2/bon-iver-perth-remix

The second synth is a lead and you can hear it really well in this track at the 3 minute mark:
soundcloud.com/gud-2/u-want-me

I know I just threw a lot at you guys. I am still quite inexperienced with synthesis and I would love any advice/thoughts on reproducing these two. Who knows if he makes them himself or just uses patches.

Anways, thank you a lot!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate any help.

Do you have Sylenth1? The dark bass is just some saw with multiple voices on 3 oscillator, detune, and some distortion. The 4th osc maybe a sine on it.

Again for the lead it's just saw pitch.

Last edited:
I actually have Massive. So maximum 3 oscillators but I could layer if I wanted. Cool. I'll have to play around with detuning. Its amazing the effects it can have on the sound.

Thanks so much!

Star 27 is on the right track!

First synth:
You hear a lot of these dark detuned patches in Future Garage, though they are usually a little bit more lowpassed. So if you like those sounds you know where to look for them. :)

I reproduced the sound, there are 2 ways in the beginning:
Strategy A: Sawwave, 1 oscillator, going into a unison of 4 voices, thick detune, play with phase and pan spread.
Strategy B: 4 Sawwaves, detune them until you get a thick and rough sound, play with panning and phase here as well.

Then apply a little softclipping distortion. Then add a hint of chorus effect, not sure about the values on the mod-rate and mod-depth. Apply a volume-LFO effect, link the tremolo speed and amount to the keyboard so you get different amount and speed depending on where you hit a note (I could be wrong here, he could use another way to get that modulation, but it mimics pretty well at least).
Let it go through a lowpassfilter and cut the sound until it gets right, adjust the steepness by taste.

Second synth, almost successfully made it:
Same strategies as the darker synth, either 1 oscillator going through a unison at pretty much the same values, or 4 oscillators detuned.
Apply a lowpassfilter, add a higher amount of resonance, and adjust the cutoff until you get it right.
Add some releasetime to the volume envelope.
Boost 5 kHz on an EQ with desired amount (depending on what cutoff frequency and steepness you used).
Add a quicker portamento. (either that or set it to glide at desired notes in the pianosequencer).
Add a lot of reverb with a long decay. Here I didn't get it quite right.

Hope that helps.

Has anyone nailed the second synth because I cant get it right. Can someone help me with this I have Sylenth1 and Massive.
Mine just doesnt sound as special/ atmospheric it ends up sounding more like and organ or more spacey synth. I cant achieve that exact subtle buzzy saw sound that is still kinda aggressive mine always feels to harmonic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have Massive. So maximum 3 oscillators but I could layer if I wanted. Cool. I'll have to play around with detuning. Its amazing the effects it can have on the sound.

Thanks so much!
Detuning oscillators is such a common thing to do that most synths, massive included, have a shortcut control where you simply select the number of voices you want and how much you want them detuned by.

So instead of using all your oscillators and detuning each one, you can use the thing called 'unisono' (under the voices tab) to select how many copies of your patch you want and the pitch+ cutoff slider to select the detune amount.

Last edited:
Back