CALLING REESE BASS PRO'S - need a bit of help, not a noob

Snarfie

Spent all day today constructing my first Reese bass in FM8 (I got FM8 a few days ago after using Massive for my lead bass's for 2.5 years). Was curious if any synthesis pro's could give me any tips to fatten up the glide or the 'wet' parts of the reese. Seems I can't do anything more in FM8.

The only thing I can think of would be frequency splitting and modulating the fade envelope of the glide?
Note: It's also very, very, very hard to split just the 'wetness' of the glide.

V v V v V v My Reese v V v V v V
soundcloud.com/snarfie/snarfies-evil

First post too yada-yada nice to meet you guys.
Would appreciate any experienced or insightful help.

Thank you & Cheers
Snarfie

---------- Post added 12-20-2012 at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-17-2012 at 01:48 AM ----------

shameless bump

First thing I need to say is I don't think you need to do much. It sounds pretty great to me, love the bass.

In regards to fattening up certain parts, (of course, applying FX to the whole thing could screw it up), you could make many different instances of this sound, mute parts you don't want to affect, and leave the parts you do. For example, get rid of the bass and high end of the sound, leaving the middle squelchy bit. Then use a bandpass filter to contain it and apply compression, EQ to bring/cut out freqs you want, then compression again. POSSIBLY make an audio file of a mid-freq percussion sound, tremolo about 16th notes then play it at moments you want a wetter bubblier sound (especially during the glides). Then sidechain your new bandpassed wet bit to this percussion audio file, so it only occurs when the percussion sounds doesn't. Depending on your DAW, you can either reduce the volume of the track w/ the percussion audio file or just mute the audio snippets (I know how to do it in Logic). One of these ways will give the crazy sidechain bubbling sound but won't let the percussion through (unless of course you find the percussion to be a welcome addition).

For the glide (again I need to say that I like the sound as is anyway), you could automate EQ externally to glide along with the notes your bass is playing. Focus on lo and lo-mid freqs, with a medium q and boost of about 5.5dB. This will beef up the bass and the slopes will give resonance higher up too. Big beefy sound. Also maybe use automation to only add gain to the eq parameters during the glides, this will give a pumping effect that will give the glides more gravity.

Hopefully I helped, please acknowledge that I haven't seen your project file or know what DAW you're using. If you need anything else or clarification let me know.

Back