buying a portable soundcard

dark_tonez

Right now I'm in college with a laptop and the determination to use my decently qcquired programs yet I need a soundcard/(midi/audio) interface that won't hurt my pockets too much. All suggestions are welcomed. Thanx and I appreciate the effectiveness of this site's forums.

Looking or USB or Firewire?

Last edited by a moderator:
hi there,

i too am using a laptop to create my music and also record vocals. i recently bought the m-audio transit - which you will find for less than $100 and is a great little piece. do a google search for it - there are loads of reviews.

hope this helps

cheers

craig

i cant think of any specific suggestions, but realize if you are looking to record vocals or take stuff from certain sources like vinyl, you'll probably need one with a preamp.

-Lodger

Preamp??? you know, I've been checking out this 'mobile preamp/usb audio interface' by m-audio...seems pretty good for $150, yet still all of the other suggestions are quite tempting too. Thanx for all of the help

I'm shopping for audio cards too so I'm quite updated on this. for that price range, these two look the better. if something this simple will do for you, usb may be the call because it is a lot cheaper than fw counterparts...

alesis io|2
tapco/mackie linkusb

both have pretty much the same specs and same price range. built in preamps with phantom power, 2x2 i/o at 24/48. some reviews on the tapco one make it seem really good.

hey nervous fingaz, thanx for the tip on the hardware. the tapco link is very tempting yet i need something that's equipped with midi-from what I could see, it's not...do u know if that's so???

it really doesn't, but the alesis and the tascam do and are both about the same price.

The tascam us122 has been around for longer and people like it, so maybe it's a safer bet, I guess.

the mackie one is very nice (just lacking midi); i think i know where i'm heading with this one...thanx, now i'm off for a decent condensor mic

Back