Bridges and Drum Pattern Change ups

P

parisfisherjr

I would just like to know how to make my beats more comlex and non-repetative. What do you guys do for bridges and changeups, how long should they last (bars wise) and what are other techniques you use to give your tracks more variation while sticking to a main theme i guess you would call it. One more question what is the usual pattern for chorus's and verses's and bridges. Im sure this has been discusssed before and i know the producer has the ability to variate from the norm but what is a good guideline for begining producers to follow when making their tracks like v-c-v-c-b-v-c-v-c is that the usual? Thanks, by he way im using an mpc and a phantom if that helps at all. Peace.

to make beats more complex really come from u.....learn scales chord progressions all that fun stufff.....normally bridges are slightly diff then the original template....on one beat i made recently...I MADE THE BRIDGE a completely drum pattern and melody.......

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy above me is right.. learn chord progressions. Be simple with them, you don't have to use a diff. drum pattern. Usually they tend to have less going on then in the verses/choruses. But when I do drum change-ups they're just a removal of maybe a snare, and some hi hats, just keeping the kick going. And then build up from there..

yea just have a few drum patterns where the drums stop for a bit, or maybe pull out the sample/melody and just have the drums and bassline play for a bar. Beats don't have to be exceedingly complex, just small subtle changeups that keep it a little more interesting.

I've been trying to do this same thing. I've been dedicating a specific sound to different parts of my songs. Like maybe have some horns come in during the chorus only and my bridges having the strings. that is the most difficult part for me to pull off.

three quick tricks that if used sparingly could well help:

1 - use a different kick for the bridge/ change - eg tight kick for the main track and a really boomy, 808 style one for the change..

2 - change the pitch of the beat right at the end of the bar (bend it rather than shift it, although experimentation is key) so that the break gets more or less intense at the change

3 - reverse some parts of the break to create a 'sucking' effect right at the change. I love this one, but it's easy to overdo....

there are hundreds of tricks - don't be afraid to experiment and try to find something original to you. If it hasn't been done before you could be onto a real winner in the originality stakes!

Back