Breaks in beats....

ShawkCityBeats

So a lot of mixtapes and album tracks have breaks in the beats. As a BEATMAKER, how concerned do I have to be with this aspect of the production? The way I see it, the breaks should put emphasis on the lyrics of the artist. This seems like a production job. Is it reasonable to guess an artist would want beats without breaks so they could place them as they see fit? I know there is not a right answer to this but I was wondering if anyone has worked with artists that wanted it one way or another.

When you deal with professional artists they requests tracked out versions of your instrumentals that will allow them to arrange the beat as they see fit. This basically lets you put every instrument into ProTools, Logic, etc. into its own track giving the engineer full control of how they want it. I prefer to put breaks in my beats for listening purposes but once the beat sells, the artist now has control over when there are breaks or if they want any at all.

Still good to give a good arrangement from the beginning. I've placed alot of tracks where the entire beat remained in tact as it was originally sent. It's disappointing when things aren't arranged to lyrics, but even in the professional world, things can slip thru the cracks, so you want your product as professional on your end as you can make it before it touches the next guy's hands.

Alot of breakdowns and drops can just be added as they'd more than likely appear in a finished song and end up sounding great when lyrics are added over the top. You just don't want to get so abstract with your changeups that they could confuse the rapper.

Very well put deranged, I definitely hear a lot more switch ups in hiphop now a days with bridges and EDM influencing more with builds and drops.

Back