Breakbot's kicks and snares

Bourdoncle

Hi there,
I'm a complete beginner in music programming so don't get mad if this question is bit vague.
I have so many questions that i'm afraid i'll have to start at least a thousand thread before i can start exploring the wonderful world of DAWs,any road...

I was listening to a song by Breakbot (Fantasy) and i couldn't figure out what those powerful kicks and snares where made of.Is it simple layering?Is it compression?

I mean,it sounds so Disco but so modern at the same time!The same goes for Daft punk and Sebastian (all these Ed Banger artists),i can't post any link but please listen to Breakbot's Fantasy or Sebastian's Embody and you'll understand.
Any advice for a novice?:D

The biggest thing is good mixing- keeping everything else out of the way of the drums so they can be turned up loud relative to everything else.

The rest you could probably achieve with a little compression and EQ boosting of the fundamental.

Maybe layer with a short white noise hit to fill out the high end.

The best thing to remember is to start out with good quality samples. Make sure your samples really fit the tone that you're going for and don't sound too tinny or cheezy (unless that's what you're going for)

Mixing is really important too. I typically quiet the other tracks in the mix until I can perfect the drum samples, then bring the other components in, usually moving up the frequency range from low to high.

Compression is important, and mastering is great, but no amount of mastering will ever make a shitty mix sound perfect.

Back