Breakbeat - Drum Arrangement

C

cybernetica

Hi!
I'm currently trying to make a really energetic industrial/breakbeat tune. You know The Prodigy - "Firestarter"? It should be somehow like that.
But I'm still searching for the right drum arrangement. How do they get a song that energetic and driving?
Would really appreciate if you could help me here, thanks in advance!

Try increasing the tempo.
Try pushing the high hats, snare, or both forward a bit, so they hit earlier.
Or try some other percussive instruments such as shakers, congas, ect... and push them forward so they hit a little early.

A drummer or percussionist will play something a bit ahead of the beat to drive it and add urgency and energy. Be sure not to do it with everything - then everything will be on beat. Pick one sound to drive the beat. And it could be anything... a piano riff, bass line, ect.

...you could also try putting some overdrive or distortion on the drums.

i think the energy in prodigy songs comes from a really long periond of getting the right sound.

it sounds raw, punk, even cheap or accesible, but behind it is there´s alot of hard work.

there´s an interview with liam in last month sound on sound. (if you dig i think you can find it somewhere on the net) he discusses the amount of effort put into the newest album, and describes the process starting with his thoughts and concept - and more importantly - ways of realizing that concept.

i am not really a fan of prodigy (diesel power kicks ass though)

you should be realistic about it.if not - you might end up discouraged.

not even prodigy can re-produce firestarter.

(as seen on the latest album.)

have fun and good luck.

(ps: isn´t girls *very* similar to egyptian lover - girls...i wonder)

...and this is all just an opinion.

Back