BPM remix issues

Boltz

Ok, check this out... I am about to smash my computer into pieces.
I have been going through my a capella collection and playing around. Everytime I go to remix something I go look up the BPM for that song. Punch it into FL and add the a capella. Rap acapellas no problem but with something like Michael Jackson "Bad" it never syncs properly through the whole song. It's like the song changes bpm throughout the song. Maybe because it was played by a real drummer not a machine? So how the hell am I supposed to remix it in FL?

breal said:
FL sucks for remixes.
Ableton Live better

FL is perfectly capable of accurately holding BPM without drifting, although if the BPM of the drummer in the original track drifts slightly then Ableton's warping could be useful to align it to the beat. Sonar's Audiosnap would also be good at this...

I experience similar problems with remixes because an original BPM might be 90.34 and my beat is at 90 or 91. There WILL be drift. The way i work around it, is to chop up the acapella and re-align it using adobe audition. Usually, if youre close enough you can have an entire verse stay on beat. So chop the verse(s) and chorus(es) and line them up in audition (or any multi-track software) so its on beat.
Hope that helps

What xtremrukus said. I do the same thing with sony acid for remixes chop it into verses to get it to sync. Sometimes depending on the genre it needs to be chopped into smaller segments than a full verse.

The reason you dont have that issue with rap is because the tempo doesnt normally change in hip hop music since its been programed with electronic instuments, Sequenced and quantized.

Last edited:
n4eem said:
id love too see someone do a remix on FLstudio, my gosh!!

Im sure it can be done. I have never used FL but it is a loop based sequencer so i dont see why you cant do a remix on it. I used to do remixes with 2 turntables and a 4 track cassette deck Im sure FL offers more than that to work with.

im a remixer and i use FL, its really easy to sync acapellas. if u disable your snap and place the pella under the playlist then u can move it in much smaller stages like 1/6th of a step.
i do get drift in some acapellas so i slice the pella in a silent part just before it starts drifting. that way it stays in time all the time

Back