Boss Guitar Pedals

tReHoLLa

Does anyone know anything about guitar pedals?

I was thinking about getting some new guitar pedals, but I really want to know what the difference in sound quality is, between the Boss ME multi effects and the regular single pedals.
Is there a big difference between the actual Distortion pedal in terms of sound quality from the distortion setting in the Boss multi effects box? Same for the overdrive pedal in comparison to the
overdrive multi effect setting?

I don't mind purchasing a couple of pedals, to get the specific sound, but again is there a great difference in sound quality between the actual pedal and the sound box? Thanks in advance.

been a while since I have sat down with the multi effects boxes but in the main the quality is the same whether as stand alone or part of the ME;

having said that, there are chances that the newer ME's are using DSP modeling rather than physical implementations, so chances are that there are now significant differences (not being a d!ck but the difference between a transistor overloading and therefore distorting vs what a dsp model will do is very different electronically and subsequently audio wise) to those who know the older pedals

personally, I only use my individual pedals: chorus, flanger, phaser, delay, distortion, overdrive - with a power supply rather than running them on batteries (although running from 9v batteries can lead to some cool sounds as the battery loses its charge - however too hit and miss so only pursue this if you can get the sound down during a take)

Last edited:
I also think all the distortion pedals are analog and those multi fx boxes are definitely not, so there's gonna be a difference. Not sure what's the status of the current gen of modulation fx - those might be digital nowadays as well on both platforms (regarding Boss - there are, of course, all sorts of manufacturers around). But yeah, I've always preferred individual pedals as well, easy enough to try different things or change one part of a setup; multi fx always kind of feel like a "stuck with what you've got" kind of thing.

Back