blending vocal samples in your mix

Vocals are the hardest to mix and never easy mate, especially if they don't record right. Vocals dominate the mid-range. You have to mix everything around it.

Like Star27 said vocals are quite hard to mix. They need to be studied a lot for the perfect mix.

For the samples you have, if you only need vocal hits and not a full vocal line you can program them to dominate your mix when they play and return to your regular mix when they are done. That might do the trick depending on the situation but, ultimately, you will need to study your vocals, see what frequencies shape them (preferably with a spectrum analyzer) and build your track around them ;-).

my guess is that your vocal samples are not blending in because of the initial eq and compression applied to them.

I go back to my basic process of mixing which is to make everything heard by making everything softer - if something is not blending step 1 is to make its level lower.

If it is too prominent even after trying to drop the level so that is mixed into the rest of the track then it may well have had the frequency range between about 1.7kHz and 5kHz boosted to provide some presence to the signal. To counteract this, you need to apply a cut of 3db somewhere in this range to begin with:

you can use a parametric eq to do this
  1. set your cut level to -3db
  2. set your bandwidth (Q) to as narrow as you can make it (high Q usually)
  3. now sweep the frequency through the range 1.7kHz to 5kHz slowly to whilst playing the track repeatedly
  4. when you start to hear the vocal drop backwards in the mix - i.e. blend in, you can start to fine tune the settings
    • make the bandwidth wider
    • adjust the cut level to what is appropriate to just back off the presence of the vocal

done

Back