Best way to classify synthetic instruments?

Olie

I'm building a huge library of synth patches for a project i'm working on and it's getting messy as hell, I need a simple but clear way to break them into folders.

Any way that makes sense to you-- by emulated keyboard type (i.e. Moog, Arp, OBX, DX7, organ, electric piano, etc.), or by function (leads, pads, sfx, rhythm, "plucks," etc.), or by main waveform associated with your patch (square waves, sine waves, triangular, sawtooth, pulse)... Give them names based on what they sound like to you, or just abstract associations, then put those in alphabetical order. Or by date created. However is easiest for you to remember and access later when needed.

GJ

Any way that makes sense to you-- by emulated keyboard type (i.e. Moog, Arp, OBX, DX7, organ, electric piano, etc.), or by function (leads, pads, sfx, rhythm, "plucks," etc.), or by main waveform associated with your patch (square waves, sine waves, triangular, sawtooth, pulse)... Give them names based on what they sound like to you, or just abstract associations, then put those in alphabetical order. Or by date created. However is easiest for you to remember and access later when needed.

GJ

The majority of them are mixed wave forms, only using one synth, functions is what i currently have but some are hazy in function and could go in strings or pads for example, should i remove strings and just put it all in pads? Can strings technically be pads? My head hurts. Synths aren't strings. Depending on the octave some could be sfx or a more melodic instrument. Help me rhythmgj.

Last edited:
You are only using one synth, but the sounds have to sound like other synths, or you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. You will have to make some decisions. There are synth strings, yes. You can put them with "real" strings or not, your choice. Your sounds must have a dominant waveform, even if they are mixed. Strings can be pads, yes... What I would do is just start putting them in different categories. You can change and tweak later. The important part is to get the process started.

GJ

I'd just go the tagging route, instead of having to force them to be one thing but not the other. So instead of deciding whether it's "strings" or "pad", you tag it both with "strings" and "pads".

hmmm classifying synthetic instruments...

Synths are "electrophones" aren't they? :hmmm: ha, jk

I break them into simple categories just like any other library, but with some added folders.
Bass, Lead, Pad, Hits, Percussion, Efx, etc.
If it is a "yuge" library, then you can always create subfolders. Bass1, Bass2...

I have also been considering better librarian strategies for my samples/patches though.

Last edited:
Hi Olie ,
After some time I came to this: Basses, Synth FX, Pads (no matter Leads are there too, everything sustained) and iirc Plucks. So it's 4 folders, no matter how weird name of the patch is - it's in the folder. Works for me

Hi Olie ,
After some time I came to this: Basses, Synth FX, Pads (no matter Leads are there too, everything sustained) and iirc Plucks. So it's 4 folders, no matter how weird name of the patch is - it's in the folder. Works for me

I would need a drum folder too but that's probably the clearest way to do it I've seen so far. I think I'm going to split leads into their own folder based on attack time though and have everything with a long attack in the pad folder. I would have never thought to do it based on amp envelopes.

In case anyone finds this in the future and needs a system, here's the break down:

Basses - Self explanatory.
Drums - Self explanatory.
Pads - Sustained patches with long attacks.
Plucks - Non-sustained patches.
Leads - Sustained patches with short attacks.

SFX - Non musical patches.

Then (if you want to further sort) create sub-folders in each one with one folder for saw, one for sine, one for triangle and one for square depending on what the dominant sounding wave form is.

Last edited:
Ok! i'm glad that helped.
(I've made only a few synth drums so far so they were not as important for me, but yes this is a good idea).

I'd just go the tagging route, instead of having to force them to be one thing but not the other. So instead of deciding whether it's "strings" or "pad", you tag it both with "strings" and "pads".

Hey, krushing, I like the idea of tagging the sounds instead of forcing them into folders so that you can include more info to increase ease of access. I run into the problem many times, where I feel forced to categorize a sample, for example: "horns" or "piano"(when it contains both) and so I have a folder named "compositions", but the folder if freaking huge now. I am curious how you catalog your samples, because if one folder has a large amount of samples, then it can become a little overwhelming.

I guess my approach to samples in general is a bit "unconventional" - besides drums, I don't really use them that much and even with drum sounds I tend to pick them randomly and see what comes up with the stuff that I selected rather than looking for certain sounds. Of course, there are a few staple sets that I go back to every now and then.

ah, i see. well what about creating libraries of samples of your own work where you resampled much of your own original melodies/bass/drums/etc.

I resample and edit my own material quite a bit, do you tend to leave that type of thing exclusive to the project file you are working within, or do you save patches or sounds for future use?

Back