Best Resources for Learning Synthesis and Mixing

matthewm77

I have put off properly learning synthesis and mixing for way too long idk why but I'm sick of heading straight to the preset bank and mixing with no clue what I'm doing. It's holding back my sound too much. My questions is whether anyone knows good sites or resources to learn the two. I find it easier when I have a resource with a lot of knowledge in it rather than jumping through single function tutorials. Thanks!

check the getting started forum. There is a recommended reading list. I will also second a recommendation for Rick Snomans Dance Music Manual. The genre sections are dated but the advice and techniques are sound.

Lynda.com has two video-based tutorials, Synth Programming Basics and Synth Programming: Beyond the Basics, and if you're not already a member you can get a 10-day free trial.

If you search for 'synth' on Groove3, you'll find quite a few results.

Moog has a short series of videos on YouTube. And there are many other courses on synth programming in general and for particular synths on YouTube that you can find by searching for "programming synthesizers".

But one of the most recommended courses is Syntorial. The whole package costs money but the first 22 lessons are free and are more than enough to let you know if you want to continue to the end. The good thing about Syntorial is that it teaches by example. You learn about one control at a time and learn what difference it makes to the sound you can get, and there are tests (fairly easy to start with but getting more difficult as you go along) in which you have to recreate the sound you're hearing.

I'd post links but apparently I don't have enough posts yet. I'm sure you'll find them all if you really, really want to. :)

For mixing check out Pensado's Into the Lair series on YouTube.

Good book:
Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools, by Roey Izhaki

Back