The best composing software around.

DJ SKY

I have usee a lot of software, and from what I've seen, I must say CakeWallk Pro Audio kicks. Are there others who have used it? And if you have, what do ya think of it?
For da composers :)-
DJ SKY

For sequencing/ composing, Cakewalk PRO is a good choice if you don't want to take too much resources on your computer, for example if you use your PC to run other software such as Gigasampler, Unity, or Reality (..etc..) as your computer will have enough resources and audio channels to run all of them together. Cake is also very easy to use and reliable.

However.. If you have a fast machine and mainly use hardware synthesizers and samplers, and if you have a good soundcard (Event Gina, Darla, Creamware Pulsar II or Luna),use Cubase VST 5 (version 5 was recently released). With Cubase VST, you can install and use software synthesizers that are compatible with the VST and VST 2.0 environments.

There is also Logic, which is supposed to be a great composing environment.

I used to write my music in Cakewalk as I liked the light use of resources. I am slowly moving to VST now, as the Creamware Pulsar II card is exploited in a much better way.
Also, the VST instruments are very good.

Buzz

Actually. I've tried alot of different programs and have found an answer: Buzz! If you use it correct and learns all the tricks you can turn this "crap" program into a great mixing mashine. Even great for live performance (some stability problems though).
You can use the program to make samples, melodies, then you record it and use the same program to mix filters, melodies, add bass and of course drums.
If you want to try it out you can always ask me for advise.
Sincerely Dj Chriss
Check out what you can make:
http://www.mp3.com/ChrissT

In 'da buzinezz' they regard Logic Audio as #1 when it comes to sequencing (very difficult, but very adjustable to your needs), then Cubase VST and then Cakewalk.

Now, I only have touched Cubase and Cakewalk for a brief time before going the Logic Audio, so i can't tell if Cakewalk is worse than Logic Audio.

What i do know however, is that Logic Audio is complete... Really... You can do anything with midi, you can hook up SoundDiver (patch librarian for your synths) directly to Logic Audio, and with midi interfaces like the Emagic AMT8 or Unitor8 you can get spot on timing...

In contrast to what people think, Underworld for example don't use a Akai MPC2000 for sequencing, but use Logic Audio. On live gigs they even have two Logic Audio's running in sync on stage, controlling the samplers and synths...

Personally, my choice about studio sequencing is Logic Audio... For live stuff i'm thinking about an Akai or maybe the Yamaha RM1X (seems a nice way to fiddle around with when i'm not in the mood to load everything up in my studio) :)

just my 2 cents

yeah. Buzz and Logic have a thing in common. and that is the learning curve. The learning curve is real steep. I tried Logic. The program looks real sleek and cool. But, then i had a tough time with it. It took me a lot of time to figure out the things. maybe, because, i did have a manual with me.

Yeah, i would surely love to hear more on Logic and Buzz. where can i find tutorrials on Logic and Buzz?
thanks in advance..

Devic said:
...where can i find tutorrials on Logic and Buzz?
well, DJ Chriss, one of the members here, should release a Buzz tutorial in a few weeks, if everuthing is ok.

Logic Tutorials will probably be added to this site within a few months. It is growing ;)

The best....

I suggest Cakewalk 9
Or
Logic Audio...

Those 2 progs are awsome, Logic Audio is probaly the one I favor, its got a nice interface and the mixer roqz.

If you wanna go more for the samples side of things, FruityLoops ( http://www.fruityloops.com ), or ReBirth are the next best options.

i am using Rebirth and Fruity Loops to compose. Logic is defintaly good but i don't have a synth yet that i can hook up to my comp. so i guess, that leaves me with Buzz or ACID as the next best option for me.

actually i got a CASIO WK 1200, but i haven't conncected it to the comp. i am more comfortable with the comp rather than the synth. But, i do use sounds from the synth as samples.

CUBASE 5.0 kicks!

I have been writing different styles of music (tekno, trance and Progressive House) for over 10 years now! I have tried all of the MIDI sequencers mentioned above! Starting with Notator and Cubase on the old ATARI 1040 ST computers. I have used Cakewalk, Logic and Cubase on both pc and mac and I have to say that the latest version of Cubase VST32 5.0 is by far the best!In terms of ease of use and most bang for the buck, you absolutley can not beat Cubase! And for those Rebirth users... you can use REWIRE to pull your rebirth stuff in to Cubase and sequence your keyboards over top! It fully KICKS ***! You can get thousands of effects plugins and have real time/sequencer control of your track and effects parameters! Meaning you can record just about every Cubsae parameter/slider/volume knob etc... over time! Logic is a very very close second though!

i'd have to agree with wooter that logic audio is the professional's choice. i worked at a music retail store where i tried cubase, cakewalk, paris, etc... but i have never found a program more powerful than logic audio (other than protools, but that's another story). i am a happy owner of LA platinum, and i don't think that you should be discouraged by logic's user interface. it isn't as difficult as some might portray, it just has more options and power that need some getting used to. other than that, i have found logic to be very intuitive in a pro recording sense.
if you need info on exactly why logic is better than the rest, e-mail me and i'll send you the info.

logic is THE best program around for electronic music, but don't ask me, ask: BT, paul van dyk, sasha, breeder, bedrock, ferry corsten, dj tiesto, underworld, etc...
...all proud users of logic.

peace!

Back