Best books for arranging a song...

ecsmix

I was wondering if u guys know the best books to learn the basic, like notes to chords to melody and etc...Explain how and why everything should blend together, like bass,pad,pianos and etc...same key and etc...
I don't want to become a musician just wanna know the basics to avoid mistakes mixing bass notes with pianos,pad and etc...

Thanks.

man... if u wanna kno about instrument selection... sounds... etc... that comes with experience. u gotta use ur ear man... seriously. obviously, if somethin sounds ****ty 2gether with anotha sound.. then dont use it.

now as for the basics.... which is what i stress to everybody...

learn your scales.. and practice em everyday. that will help so much. and try 2 recreate your favorite songs... EXACTLY. or as close to it as u can. also.. visit www.hearandplay.com and cop the 300pg course. its good for teachin you theory. when u readin it, its like somebody is talking to you, so it is easier to understand than most books. because some of that ish may be confusing at first.

hope this helps

*edit*

and another website... that will help you with your production a lot, is www.todaysbeats.com.

check out the free tutorials, then decide for yourself. if you do become interested, i advise you 2 sign up for v.i.p.

you get drum sounds, and other downloadable things.. plus access to tons of tut's.

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
ecsmix said:
I don't want to become a musician just wanna know the basics to avoid mistakes mixing bass notes with pianos,pad and etc...
What helped me a lot was a chart that came with a multi-sample library I bought. It shows the frequency ranges of many common instruments. I used that info when writing tunes to help with 2 things:

To avoid crowding frequency ranges with instruments that share the same primary frequencies.
To make sure I cover as much of the spectrum as I can.

I can't direct you to a chart, but I'm sure you can come up with something via google search. Even if you have to get the info for each instrument separately, it's worth it. Better arrangements, make for better and easier mixes since you won't have rely as much on EQing to make things fit.

Also, there are 2 post floating around in this forum where I answered similar questions with info I got from a mixing book. The info was more about mixing, but I apply it to arrangements as well. This is one. Same info in the other, but I think I expounded a bit more. Try searching for my name and "arrangements" or "5 elements". It may be a few months old at this point.

Bezo said:
What helped me a lot was a chart that came with a multi-sample library I bought. It shows the frequency ranges of many common instruments. I used that info when writing tunes to help with 2 things:

To avoid crowding frequency ranges with instruments that share the same primary frequencies.
To make sure I cover as much of the spectrum as I can.

I can't direct you to a chart, but I'm sure you can come up with something via google search. Even if you have to get the info for each instrument separately, it's worth it. Better arrangements, make for better and easier mixes since you won't have rely as much on EQing to make things fit.

Also, there are 2 post floating around in this forum where I answered similar questions with info I got from a mixing book. The info was more about mixing, but I apply it to arrangements as well. This is one. Same info in the other, but I think I expounded a bit more. Try searching for my name and "arrangements" or "5 elements". It may be a few months old at this point.

but the frequency range depends on the octave on the keyboard ur playing it in. you can play the instruments u want though, just spread them over the keyboard, dont play in the same ranges ,although some instruments dont sound good at certain frequencies or as good

Back