The beginning of dubstep

Wikipedia article is pretty good but I would just like to say that some people consider the term 'bro-step' derogatory and 'dubstep' is more commonly used to describe Skrillex's music. See the talk page for more info.

Also worth mentioning that Skrillex's influence has extended beyond dubstep into a lot of electro-house, house and dnb. There's both more to Skrillex than dubstep and there's also a lot more to dubstep than Skrillex. There is some overlap but the word doesn't summarize either very well. Really we need a word to describe Skrillex's style- bro-step sort of works but it's a bit rude and doesn't do the music justice.
I tend to say 'Skrillexy dubstep' and 'oldskool dubstep' if there's danger of the two being confused.

Also spelling of baseline is wrong- should be bassline.

Also OP looks a little bit like a troll (no offence meant, sorry) but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. :)

Last edited:
Vice has a great article about this with stories from the founders of dubstep. It's kinda lengthy but it was interesting enough for me to get through it in one sitting.

*I tried linking it but I can't do that on a new account so hopefully this is allowed: vice(dot)com/read/an-oral-history-of-dubstep-vice-lauren-martin-610

Back