Beginner needs some advice on how to work further on beats

VranX

I've started making beats about a week or 2 ago, and I've got some stuff right now I think is worth working further on.(If you think it's shit, don't be afraid to say so, haha) But after making that main loop I'm always kinda stuck. Any tips on working further on these beats? (or tips in general)

Thanks

Last edited:
I would suggest you try to listen to some of your favorite artist and their songs, and try to mimic them. How how is it arranged? what tempo (bpm) does it have?

There are many youtubers who have remade songs from top producers. I would recommend you check it out and try to go along with them. You'll learn alot of things that way, and get a better feel for how a song is made from start to finish.

From there you'll know what to do before and after the "loop" to make it connect with other parts of the song and make something that makes sense.

as for the loops you've made some of it got potential, but it's very basic and lacks characteristics and depth. it's sounds much like stock sounds. However, everybody starts somewhere and I'm far from good at it myself.

you don't know what you don't know, and when you figure it out it will make more sense.

anyways, good luck on the beatmaking!

Last edited:
Just keep your loop going but make slight changes, it doesn't have to switch up completely just little time differences can make the listener's experience that much better. Just go by intuition and think out of the box don't be afraid to mess up because guess what it's music (a subjective matter) so you can't mess up !

I agree - the best advice I was given from a friend was to get better sounding instruments. I recommend downloading some free drum kits to start and instruments, then move on to plugins when you get more money to spend on your music.
I would suggest you try to listen to some of your favorite artist and their songs, and try to mimic them. How how is it arranged? what tempo (bpm) does it have?

There are many youtubers who have remade songs from top producers. I would recommend you check it out and try to go along with them. You'll learn alot of things that way, and get a better feel for how a song is made from start to finish.

From there you'll know what to do before and after the "loop" to make it connect with other parts of the song and make something that makes sense.

as for the loops you've made some of it got potential, but it's very basic and lacks characteristics and depth. it's sounds much like stock sounds. However, everybody starts somewhere and I'm far from good at it myself.

you don't know what you don't know, and when you figure it out it will make more sense.

anyways, good luck on the beatmaking!

Nah man, this is way better than anything I made after 2 weeks. Keep pushing, you will get there friend.

One thing that helps me when i start getting hung up on putting a full song together is to take a step back away from the arrangement window and just record different patterns and melodies with the sounds I have selected without any premeditation of where they'd fit in the song. it's kind of like throwing a bunch of puzzle pieces out in front of you and I've often been able to spark ideas from that

Like the others said, start analyzing your musical influence. Copy their ideas if you have to; if you're serious about music it can be a tough pill to swallow (I know from experience) because you want to have your own style but starting out we have to realize that we're not necessarily good enough to put together our own styles with little prior experience

Lastly, dedicate some time every week solely to finding sounds that you think you could use in the future. I know it's hard not to hop straight into a beat when you've been inspired by a sound but if you make a habit out of this you'll have some stuff stockpiled and ready to go next time around

You started producing 2 weeks ago and that's your music? That is amazing....... My first 3 years were absolute crap. Keep up a good job.
It just takes time, you cant learn how to make music fast. It's been 10 years and I'm still learning every day.
The best thing is, the more I know the more I actually learn, more goes into me when I listen to other songs. I understand more how they made it, and I can repeat that, it stucks in my head.

Keep up gl!

Sample your own stuff, slice it up, play it backwards, timestretch the hell out of it...etc.
That'll get you a bunch of new sounds to mess with, but also give you a better feel for the original material you're working with.

Also, in my experience.. trying to 'work more' on tracks generally kills them.

Got a lot of potential my friend. Structure is really what needs to be focused on if you want to have a complete sounding song. Others mentioned this and I beleive 100% that this is the key to creating your best works. As people mentioned before in this thread, listening to your favourite music and analysing every single detail, from the breaks, to the drops, and really analyse how the artist structures every single section and most importantly, how they structured the music to go from one section to another and making it sound smooth to the ear.

I listened to music for months, even just listening to some instrumental tracks without the vocals so I could focus more on everything that is going on with the production. Eventually as I kept doing this, and experimenting with my music production, something just clicked.

Listening to music is the first step in producing.

Hope this helps! Keep having fun with it.

Sounds great for just starting out! What I would do is just make sure your playing everything in key. There is a great app that teaches you a bunch of chords and scales. It's called piano companion.

Back