Beginner help on writing drum parts?

Firehound57

Hello everyone!

I've already been writing for years, but only recently have I been taking things much more seriously and I'm trying to learn how to write my music a bit more in depth. I've noticed one of my biggest weaknesses is writing drum/percussion parts. Being a beginner, I've only recently learned some basic drum techniques like buzzes, flams, etc. I've never noticed those types of things in songs until now. I've been trying to incorporate these techniques into my own drum parts, but I'm a bit confused. Here is my question: In drum parts, are flams, buzzes, and other various techniques randomly spread out into the part, or are there patterns? Listening closer to some professionally written songs, it seems as if they have no pattern. On that note, is it/when is it necessary to put this into songs? Sorry for asking a question that I probably should already know, but I'm really eager to learn more and get better. Thank you!

Here's my "not a drummer" response......flams and buzzes are essentially accents, so no, they aren't placed "randomly" they are placed with distinct intention. BUT they are not part of the pattern, either, in the sense that they have to sit at a particular spot in the rhythm. They are not necessary unless you want them. Think of them as mini fills...they go where you feel they fit. They are a tool that offers expressive nuance, more variety to a monotonous rhythm, and a more human-performed quality.

Here's my "not a drummer" response......flams and buzzes are essentially accents, so no, they aren't placed "randomly" they are placed with distinct intention. BUT they are not part of the pattern, either, in the sense that they have to sit at a particular spot in the rhythm. They are not necessary unless you want them. Think of them as mini fills...they go where you feel they fit. They are a tool that offers expressive nuance, more variety to a monotonous rhythm, and a more human-performed quality.

very true

Even more important than the rythmic placement, the sounds themselves.
I used to be very bad at programming drums/beats. Now it seems to get better as I tend to first find the sound, then its place within the arrangement will reveal itself.
Also, less is more, try and delete every note that is not absolutely necessary to your groove. Don't try to "prove" anything making complex stuff.
it's easier and better to do simple stuff well, rather than doing complex stuff badly

A good indicator that I'm going in the right direction is when I'm dancing around to my beats ;)

Hah! I didn't know there were others.

:)

it makes sense, musical creativity comes from the depths of our very soul, I believe we make music with our whole body and mind, the closer you get from what's deep inside, the less you control it, and the more it controls you. For it comes from where the control initially originates, intentions, feelings, motivation, love, hate, fear, anger, contemplation, appreciation etc...

From the very beginning of the civilization, we are musicians and we also are movers, dancers (tho I wish I could dance in a non ridiculous way :p )

having the ability to express oneself musically is a gift and should be celebrated, so what best way to celebrate than to dance to the music?

Back