a beginner...

A

ace1987

I just started using FL Studio 6 a little while ago. Even though I'm familiar with hip-hop music itself, i'm trying to learn how to compose from scratch. Anyone know where I could look at for different types of drum patterns or actually sit down and practice?

Here is some advice. Dump Fruity Loops and get some proper software!!

Reason 3.0 is best in my opinion!

don't take his dumb advise,
just keep on playing with it and load the projects that came with FL, and try and study how those beats were made. If you want to compose from scratch study music theory, i dunno, just keep on practicing and be patient.

LOL yah, don't listen to Stréetwíze Productnz

(no offence Stréetwíze, but that was a pretty ignorant statement)

THERE ARE SO MANY THING YOU CAN DO...

Read these forums... ALLL THE TIME. (read even if you don't understand what the hell it is that you're reading)

Later on when you're learning something it will make it much easier when you can recall upon material you were already slightly familiar with. That technique has been invaluble to me. It's really weird how that works.

EXPERIMENT: Continue to experiment. Just messing around continuosly opens new doors in the beginning.

READ READ READ... Everything you can

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: HAVE FUN

Last edited by a moderator:
ace1987 said:
I just started using FL Studio 6 a little while ago. Even though I'm familiar with hip-hop music itself, i'm trying to learn how to compose from scratch. Anyone know where I could look at for different types of drum patterns or actually sit down and practice?

You have different types of hip hop drum patterns all around you... just listen to the hip hop songs you like!

Imitation is the best way to learn. Just try to program the same beats you hear or play along with the songs.

dvyce said:

You have different types of hip hop drum patterns all around you... just listen to the hip hop songs you like!

Imitation is the best way to learn. Just try to program the same beats you hear or play along with the songs.

I forgot to mention that..

Listen to the hip hop you enjoy on a new level. On this level pay extra attention to these details and immitate them.

The best way to get it down is through repitition so keep at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
also don't be surprised if what you first come up with sounds like complete trash, we all went through this (stop lying ppl!)

but like esthetix said, read a whole lot, experiment and experiment......
i've learned so much from accidents and mistakes hah

Thanks a lot guys for helpin me out with different ways to play around with it. Lately, I've been trying to play around with the effects in FL6 along with the different types of patterns and I guess its sort of working. I've been reading many of the posts so i'm gradually getting the grasp. One quick question tho, would be recommended to get an MPC instead of playing around on FL?

Sorry Guys, that was a bit OTT and i apologize for what i said.

I have never used fruity loops and therefore i cannot have an opinion on it! I have always used reason and have never thought of using FL cuz i'm happy with it. Maybe i'll check it out.

My statement did come out sounding worse than i had inteneded anyway, it was meant to sound like an opinionated suggestion but came out sounding aggressive and arrogant.

Anyway, i repent my sins, show love and move on.

Stréetwíze has definately earned some respect from me for that last post.

Thanks a lot man. I ain't afraid to admit when i'm wrong and today i was damn wrong.

much love

Stréetwíze Productnz said:
Sorry Guys, that was a bit OTT and i apologize for what i said.

I have never used fruity loops and therefore i cannot have an opinion on it! I have always used reason and have never thought of using FL cuz i'm happy with it. Maybe i'll check it out.

My statement did come out sounding worse than i had inteneded anyway, it was meant to sound like an opinionated suggestion but came out sounding aggressive and arrogant.

Anyway, i repent my sins, show love and move on.

ah, your a good person,
its all good bro

When I'm recordin my vocals onto the beat for some reason the vocals come out to be heavier, anyway I can work the EQ on the mixer by changing His and Lows?

ace1987 said:
When I'm recordin my vocals onto the beat for some reason the vocals come out to be heavier, anyway I can work the EQ on the mixer by changing His and Lows?

Yes... that is what "mixing" is all about.

You use all the sonic tools at your disposal to do just that.

Bless up mi brethren, I hope that everything is every thing star.

I am real new at this and I know it can be real hard to find information on making music especially fast, try and read some lessons from wayne and wax and I know they helped me and I know they will be able to help you, http://wayneandwax.org/lessons/index.html he is cool brethren and think that he will be able to help .

good

no offense but i don't think you should use an mpc because 1: it's ALOT harder than FL 2: It costs alot more to get your songs onto your pc and such 3: It's expensive

Here is little tip in Hip Hop production... ( Just some lil stuff, but it might help you )
you should almost always Compress Kicks, & Snares, A kick & Snare pattern should go like this 1 is a snare, 2 is a kick

1 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 11 - 2

Just an exaple... Hi-Hats are a nice add to a mix that can make it sound alot better... DONT USE FL STUDIO'S PRESET SOUNDS!!! you should keep you BPM for a Hip Hop song inbetween 80-110, unless you are making a southern Three 6 Style beat, and then going to 140 BPM is no problem...
That is just some no brainer stuff you might already know, but I wish someone would have taught me this when I started ( Only 3 months ago )

ace1987 said:
Thanks a lot guys for helpin me out with different ways to play around with it. Lately, I've been trying to play around with the effects in FL6 along with the different types of patterns and I guess its sort of working. I've been reading many of the posts so i'm gradually getting the grasp. One quick question tho, would be recommended to get an MPC instead of playing around on FL?
No, there is alot you can master, and learn in FL6, before you upgrade, and MPC's are really really expensive, and if you have never used one from what ive hered can be really really hard.

LOok, quite honestly its not about what you use, its what you do with it. FL studio can be really agravating at first cuase there's alot and its often complicated to find sounds. But i went through that and if you hear some of the tracks I made on Fl, you wont believe it. I would personally recommend you stick with Fl because you'll at least have overcome the challenge and you gain the experience. patience is essential!

Back