to become a successful producer.

SquaredMusic

- Forums are great but stop learning from other sources and begin learning from your own research/experimenting/beat making. This is the most effective approach. Its good to share ideas etc but really learning about your own methods can't be done by taking other peopels advice. When you start beat making maybe its good to learn the basics on forums.

It seems the more your educated on beat making the less choices you decide to use when making a beat. You get locked into this monotonous habit of contstructing a beat wand applying the same rules. In some ways I think being educated on beat making is just limiting your creative/experimental measures.

-Also reading producer forums tends to make ur own thinking less active, u dont think as someone else is doing it for you and this can put limits on ur creative development.

I think forum is ill, but i look at it for so many hours and come away drained. I think I will go back to the beats for few months in solitude.

Id be keen to hear some thoughts on this though....

i dont think anybody really LEARNS the whole process of beatmaking from a forum..

i dont think u can develop a personal style thru a forum.. but i see where ur coming from..

while it does seem to put a limit on ur creativity.. i like postin up music on a forum... nothing is a better teacher, then experience and an audience.. when 2000 people tell u, ur **** is wack.. i think its about time u look at that beat one more time and try to work somethin out..

i kno this forum has helped me learn a lot of techniques, especially with mixing, i've made a lot of friends on this site..

i do feel however.. when u become a BEATMAKER/PRODUCER.. u learn to NOT appreciate music for wat it is.. ur always analyzing sh*t instead of listening to it.. which annoys me.. u need to be able to be an audience member and a professional at the same time which is hard.. u cant always listen to music from a producer stand point because everything is gonna seem wack..

well thats my 2 pennys

i agree with what your saying, its good to share tips and help people out but at the end of the day youll learn a lot of stuff by doin things for yourself.
like if u got some problem instead of goin on here and asking for help, why not try and test yourself and look for the solution on your own. i took this approach and learned most of what i know in FL by myself.

To appreciate music again, stop listening and making for a couple days if necessary....or just stop making. I like taking 1 month breaks from production....music puts chills in my spine again instead of just hearing notes and timing.

Simply playing an instrument for fun also helps, I enjoy banging away on the mpc for hours a hell of alot more than making a 4 bar loop, the same goes for playing the piano.

-work hard! Persistance.
-defeat all the obstacles that appear on the way and keep your eye on the objetive.
-be innovative
-Promote yourself.

I just started 7 months ago and I teach myself online on forums I also read different books...I feel yall on that yo gotta develop yo own technique on how you make beats...Ive learn alot since 7 months ago and still is learning...As a Producer you gotta keep learning its and on going process.

Last edited by a moderator:
im sorry but NOBODY should be on ANY forum for any amount of hours. 1 at the most. gotta make beats remember? and all that taking breaks for months.......sounds like u aint gettin no beats done in that month

MALKOM said:
and all that taking breaks for months.......sounds like u aint gettin no beats done in that month

If your priority in beat making is creativity then try understand how taking breaks is neccessary.

I don't think being on a forum all the time can limit your music making process unless you let it. Maybe your own personal style isn't as developed so you're being influenced by what your hearing too easily. If anything being on a forum has taking my beatmaking in new directions, because I take ideas and concepts that I never thought of and run with them and leave everything else behind. I think I'm confident in my own style, so even though most people abide by the same hip hop framework theres no part of me that wants to do that. Even if most don't get what I'm doing I still won't water down my sound and you shouldn't either, the tracks on your myspace are great ideas.

Last edited:
SquaredMusic said:
If your priority in beat making is creativity then try understand how taking breaks is neccessary.

OH i do agree but I just hate to see people wondering why they aint making it when they taking a rack of days off!!

u heard kanye fellas "lockin urself in the basement doin 3 beats a day for 3 summers/ i deserve to do these numbers"

or jigga

"i talkin no days off Ferris bueller niggas"
i pay attention to the vets and i aint talkin bout no chevrolets :):)

The number one way to get good at making your own beats to me is to replay songs. Pick any song you like from a CD, radio and actually try to replay it as close to the original as possible. From the kick to that final harmonic sound that finishes off the whole piece. Even if you don't complete the task because this can be difficult, the pain & suffering of trying to find that right sound does so many things for you in the future from a production stand point that I can't even begin to explain. I started making beats before I knew anything about online forums like this one. The thing is that most new producers don't know the basics or don't have a good enough ear to produce convincing tracks. Most of the time they pick the wrong drum sounds, don't have the right drums, or don't know how to tweak them to get the effect they are looking for. I learned about picking the right drums and using the right instruments online after being critiqued by a friend of mine. He couldn't tell me what sounds to use, he just said that I was using the wrong sounds for what I was playing. Example: using an electric guitar for some bottom when a bass guitar would have been better. To be a successful producer you have to make good music. And this usually doesn't happen overnight. Like someone else said earlier. It's not about the beat, it's not about the lyrics, it's about the song as a whole. Banging drums & sweet, nasty, beasty sounds produce good hip hop beats. Ever heard beats from someone and they all sounded like a kid made them? Like they just picked any sound for the melody they got in their head. For example, an acoustic guitar is used alot for making R&B tracks. Under normal circumstances, why would you use it for a str8 up hip hop track? Stuff like this seperates average producers from better than average producers. To be a successful producer takes more than being able to produce a good beat. It's means that you know how to produce successful songs. Hope this helps in any kind of way.

One Luv,
MastaMnd

MastaMnd said:
The number one way to get good at making your own beats to me is to replay songs. Pick any song you like from a CD, radio and actually try to replay it as close to the original as possible. From the kick to that final harmonic sound that finishes off the whole piece. Even if you don't complete the task because this can be difficult, the pain & suffering of trying to find that right sound does so many things for you in the future from a production stand point that I can't even begin to explain. I started making beats before I knew anything about online forums like this one. The thing is that most new producers don't know the basics or don't have a good enough ear to produce convincing tracks. Most of the time they pick the wrong drum sounds, don't have the right drums, or don't know how to tweak them to get the effect they are looking for. I learned about picking the right drums and using the right instruments online after being critiqued by a friend of mine. He couldn't tell me what sounds to use, he just said that I was using the wrong sounds for what I was playing. Example: using an electric guitar for some bottom when a bass guitar would have been better. To be a successful producer you have to make good music. And this usually doesn't happen overnight. Like someone else said earlier. It's not about the beat, it's not about the lyrics, it's about the song as a whole. Banging drums & sweet, nasty, beasty sounds produce good hip hop beats. Ever heard beats from someone and they all sounded like a kid made them? Like they just picked any sound for the melody they got in their head. For example, an acoustic guitar is used alot for making R&B tracks. Under normal circumstances, why would you use it for a str8 up hip hop track? Stuff like this seperates average producers from better than average producers. To be a successful producer takes more than being able to produce a good beat. It's means that you know how to produce successful songs. Hope this helps in any kind of way.

One Luv,
MastaMnd

Yeah copying your fav artists is one of the best ways to improve. when you emulate ur fav artists you then have the ability to innovate effectively toward that vein of music they have been aiming for.

i

ditto mike wonder lol i went to college instead of grinding on my beats so im doin the nine to five thing too. i just cut back on sleep. i never get 5 hours sleep on any weekday, only maybe on saturday i might catch up on some sleep. but by the weekend i need some sex so that keeps me up then too! gotta grind man

grinding... ehh... i would never let beats over take my bodily needs...

food/sex/sleep/water..

any thing else, can be replaced wit makin beats

Back