Basses - Software or Sample or what

StrengthThatDon

Hi i use fruityloops to produce(or try to) and i've been afforded a chance to go shopping and I really want some bass samples. I don't like using boobass and I want a thick punchy bass , well really a library to sample from...so my question is should I buy some samples for my vst (i use sampletank 2) I'm not in love with the basses they stock it with so im not sure if i'd love their sonik capsule library...so..should I try them out or work w/ boobass and try and eq the sound I like...

if anyone's ever heard linda jones - for your precious love
or the new nas song still dreamin
that's the kind of bass im in love with

and let me clarify thats a fingered bass sound clean too a lot of basses i find in programs are too synth sounding..anyone know what im getting at?

Last edited:
Spectrasonics Trilogy is generally considered to be just about the best bass sample module there is, with both synth, electric fingered and acoustic samples.

Of course some people actually use *gasp* real basses! :)

buying something you aren't sure of...

First off, let me say I'm not the voice of vast experience. I don't want to misrepresent myself here and fake knowledge I don't have. That being said, I would caution anyone against purchasing something that they think they probably won't like. All too often we wind up purchasing things (musical things) because we feel a need for expansion. For most of us more is not the answer. Try EQ'ing the hell out of what you already have before you purchase anything. We both know how difficult it can sometimes be to find a buyer for gear or programs we no longer want. When the producers of Mowtown wanted new sounds they found new ways of using what they already had. In this day and age the average novice has access to an infinately larger sound library than these guys did, and still most "producers" out there release a bunch of stuff that sounds not much different than the work of a billion other "producers". I say that if you are even considering trying to re-EQ the sounds you currently have then you know you haven't exhausted all of the sonic possibilities of your current setup. Get your moneys-worth out of the stuff you already paid for and have invested time into before buying anything.

Last edited:
thanks for the responses and i'd prefer to use a real bass myself (im learning acoustic guitar now so up urs) but its all too expensive for me right now so im lookin for gasp temporary altnernatives much respect imaginary i appreciate the advice and good looks on trilogy krushing even if u are a jerk :p

StrengthThatDon said:
thanks for the responses and i'd prefer to use a real bass myself (im learning acoustic guitar now so up urs) but its all too expensive for me right now so im lookin for gasp temporary altnernatives much respect imaginary i appreciate the advice and good looks on trilogy krushing even if u are a jerk :p

Well, Trilogy costs $320... you can buy a bass for that price that I would use for a "live" bass sound over any synth or sample library any day... but of course you would need to know how to play the bass, too.

I wouldnt use a real bass all the time...but i have sampled a live bass and layered it with a thick imitation moog...beautiful.

Its all about combining...once I timestretched and expanded a kick and EQd it so it still had thump but less of a..kick?...anyway I added that to one of the FL Hip-Hop bass presets and messed with that for a bit until I got a good sound.

What Im trying to say is, use anything you can get your hands on and mould it until you have what you're looking for..there really is enough out there without having to buy anything.

good luck

Back