That Bass Though

Occasionally I will find a track that I like so much that I try to recreate it myself. I don't do this because I lack imagination, I do this in order to see how melodies are structured, how a track is arranged and what techniques can be used to create a professional sound. It's similar to working a problem set for a physics class. You apply the knowledge you have in order to see where you stand and what needs improvement. I included a link to the track down below. The sound I'm trying to recreate is the one used for the bass line. You can skip the first ~20 sec of the track because he doesn't fully introduce the bass until the drop at ~25 sec. At that point, he seems to reduce the BPM from 125 to about 100 and adds all of the bass freq. of the track. I've only spoken with one other person about this and it seems easy to recreate at first glance, but when I tried to synthesize the sound myself it proved to be very difficult. I think I'm using the right ratio of wave forms, but it doesn't sound as warm and robust as the bass in that track. I've thoroughly explored different wave forms and layering techniques. I wouldn't post this if I hadn't already made a valiant effort to do this. I'm wondering whether most of the bass's properties emerge from the way the song is mix/mastered or from the actual synthesis. It sounds like there's a subtle chorus effect being applied because the transient of the bass oscillates between being very sharp/clear to being kind of smeared over time. I tried for quite some time to reproduce that bass but I kept falling short. Let me know what you guys think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7QnjKElRxw

Back