Bass problems

G

Ground

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with my basses.If I pump the sound with compressor theres a lot of noiz that comes out too.How can I achieve a big fat bass without noiz to apear?
I'm talking about both,kicks and bass lines and if I reach good sound in the one of them,it covers the other one,so there's no big achievement.

Thanks,I have read this allready.
I mean more concrete tips like "use two kicks,one with more sub sound and one with a cut in "x" frequency".
I have read a lot of things about bass sounds,but they'r all about what to use,not HOW to use it.

if your compressing the bass and getting a lot of noise, than that means the original bass sound has noise in it, and the compression is just amplifying it...
to truely fix it, go to the source; the sample.... noise reduction plugins are out there, or just re-record it if it's not a sample. you can only polish a turd so much...

now if you want to get into turd-polishing, here's what I'd do. I'd eq everything out of it except the bass frequencies.... Chances are you won't need the mids and highs anyway---it is bass after all...

Yeh like guys said u gotta try some noise redaction plug-ins. At least u can mess with standart Cool Edit Pro plug-ins, it has a few for removing hiss.
And of course EQ is your best friend. U can use paragraphic EQ to find out what frequencies is the hiss and remove it.

Or maybe u compress ur bass too hard. If u do, then u should try more soft compression; set threshold and comp ratio abit less and listen how sound goes...

if the noise is hiss then eqin gthe high end out will get rid of this. If it is a hum, use narrow cuts to find the frequency causing the problem and its harmonic frequencies.

Like said earlier, if you compress the bass and it amplifies noise, then the bass sample must have a lot of dirt in it, probably sampled.

try throwing a low pass filter on it, start at around, lets say 4-600hz. adjust wit ur ears. The noise freq should be around 800hz and up, and you can get rid of those with no worries because what you want is to keep the bass only.

hope this helps

Ground said:
Thanks,I have read this allready.
I mean more concrete tips like "use two kicks,one with more sub sound and one with a cut in "x" frequency".
I have read a lot of things about bass sounds,but they'r all about what to use,not HOW to use it.
Unfortunately, music doesn't work that way - no one method like that will work in all cases. You just have to try a bunch of options and see what works the best.

Based on what you and others have said, what you probably want to do in this case is create a comb filter to reduce the noise (or several) using a parametric EQ. Use a high Q (narrow the bell), and set a high gain reduction on the band. Then sweep it back and forth until you hear your noise reduced or eliminated. Then adjust the gain until it's acceptable (you don't want to completely mutilate your sound). You may need more than one filter to accomplish it.

^^^ This is the acceptable alternative to a flat-out, low-pass solution. Even though it may be a bass guitar, there is still useful frequency content up to 5kHz, even, sometimes higher.

Last edited:
audiotecnicality said:

^^^ This is the acceptable alternative to a flat-out, low-pass solution. Even though it may be a bass guitar, there is still useful frequency content up to 5kHz, even, sometimes higher.

yep very true,
If its a guitar type bass, l'd use a para eq to get rid of the noise depending on the sample.
but if the sample is pure bass and/or sub bass, then a quick low-pass does the job

good post audiotech

Back