Bass with more "meat" and less "boom"

Vhz

which vst has a sound of a good fat bass, something like keyboard workstation have, no bad boomy or subsonic frequencies, just nice meaty bass??

i have few vsts and samples, their bass sounds ok on their own, but not in the mix, even after cutting offending frequencies, or adding amp sim, or compressing it.

I checked trillian bass, it is very good for jazz, techno, some rock music, but it doesn't really have the bass i want.

Im looking more for a ballad type bass, that has more of a "grr" rather than "boom"

I'm just learning the beauty of filters, and throwing them on almost everything.

That's your answer, low pass filter or in FL speak EQ off the high end to taste.

More meat less boom means a low-cut filter aka hi-pass filter and then some tone shaping the mid-bands. The boom is usually happening around 80Hz, but I would cut at about 50Hz. then add some shaping tone controls at 220Hz, 660Hz and 2200Hz (basically add some gain inthose areas and adjust the Q (bandwidth) to taste. Low pass (Hi-Cut) at around 6kHz, if you go down to 3kHz it tends to sound muddy.

Go get the free Bluecat audio plug packae, itll have a frequency analyzer. Place that plug on your bass track (actually all tracks matter of fact) and see what freq is over powering, and make your eq cuts/adds accordingly.

the meat is generally in the mid range to low mid. Just playing higher up in the octave or up a whole octave can get you there without eq'ing anything. You can also layer two octaves together, so you hear the meat of the mids and it translates everywhere, while maintaining a low end too. On a keyboard that would usually be like layering a -3 octave bass under a -2 octave bass, or maybe under a -1 octave, depending on the patch

Try something like Massive for a lot of varieties of Basses. You'll probaby find what you want in that VSTi unless you are looking for acoustic or guitar basses.

I think Massive is too expensive for such an easy solution. It's not really about what VST you use as opposed to how you EQ and layer your bassline. Take any 3x osc generator and make a "meaty sounding" line. To get the bassy layer, just add a soft sub bass oscillation for a total of 4 oscillations. Then filter to taste. Wallah

if you have/can get the Predator synth, that has alottttt of meaty bass with ear rattling release/sustain

A lot of LP filters usually have a drive function--try tweaking that. Try experimenting with a saturator in different places in your effect chain. Another important thing to consider is in order for any added grit to come through you have to make room elsewhere in the mix.

Back