Bass Line Notes and Bass Frequency/Low End Theories....???

Chew_Bear

Are Bass Lines supposed to be single/one note being played one at a time.....???

....OR....

Can you have multiple notes being played at one time....i.e. chord progression, major/minor triad....???

I am confused because....as of right now....I make my bass lines and even my sub bass with three note chords/triads....

....BUT....

The gears inside my head have been turning and I started thinking about "bass frequencies" and the main principles of how they project/move and how they sit in a mix.....

I started researching bass line patterns and I noticed that they are pretty much made up of 'singe/one notes' and not multiples/chord progressions like what I have been doing.

So in conclusion.....

I guess the general premise would be that..."The more notes/keys you put in the bass frequencies...the more muddy/prominent your low end is gonna be"....right...???

I think I might be making my bass lines wrong all along and therefore actually enforcing bad habits and creating too much low end/bass frequencies. In turn....making the low end "MUDDY/too aggressive" because your supposed to make your bass lines as single notes and not chord progressions...right...???

HELP...?!?!?!? I am so confused!?

On a side note....

Does it depend on what the "source" or sound/instrument that is creating the bass line....???

For example....

A. If I am choosing to use a Synth for my bass line and its a pretty low and 'strong/aggressive' sound.......The bass line should be 'single/one' notes in order to avoid too much bass....correct...???

....Whereas....

B. If I choose to use something more softer/natural like a bass guitar......It would than be 'OK' to use a multiple chord progression bass line as the timbre/character of the source is not as strong/aggressive....correct...???

Help...?!?!?!

if you play two notes together like C4 + C#4
it doesn't sound like two notes, it sounds like one note vibrating

because notes/frequencies are too close

i cannot tell everything about that how it happens

but sometimes you may want to do that on purpose like using sus4 chords

but you don't really want bass problems
so try not to have harmonics of your bass a little space between

if you want to design a bass sound be aware of that

use a sine wave chords you will see that d minor 4th octave works good, but d minor 3 starts to sound bad because the notes on octave 2 and 3 are much more close to each other on frequency

so whatever you play octave 2, 3 make sure about that, but octaves 4,5,6 you dont have that problem because notes have more space between each other

Last edited:
Back