Bass Kick Question

j.reynolds

Wassup Wazzup FP, I've been looking everywhere for the 808 Bass/Kick used on Mike Will Made It joints like "Bugatti" and "Pour It Up"
They're heavy, warm, smooth, knock on computer speakers and bang on woofers; I've went through plenty of kits and have been searching forever for the cream of the crop 808's and it seems like his are some of the best. I'm not trying to sound like him but I look at making beats like painting pictures with every sound and effect being a different color or brush. I want to use those 808's because that's what everyone, including myself is addicted to; it would free me up artistically with the instrumentation and sound choices because the drums would be knocking and something people are already used too.

I wouldn't suggest looking for sample packs with garbage 808 bass samples, so I'll tell you what I do to achieve a sound similar to what you're looking for:

I use Ableton Live 8, and rather than using the stock 808 there (which still gives the producer more control over the sound than an 808 bass .wav file as the stock 808 kick in has a number of parameters), I use Massive (a soft synth by NI, if you didn't know) and run one oscillator on a sine wave. It produces almost exactly the same sound as a stretched out, compressed 808 kick.

I might add a saturator to that or turn the wavetable position a tad towards the square waveform to make the bass a bit more audible/ give it a lliiitttle bit more mid range. Depending on how I want the bass to feel (long and flat, or bouncy) I'll change the envelope on the master volume.

Then, I usually take a stock 909 kick, play around with the settings to get it to sound how I want it to, then I add another kick from a vengeance pack, and EQ it for the high end on the kick, and compress those two sounds (the 909 kick and the vengeance kick sample) to glue them together.

THEN, I sidechain my bass coming out of massive to my kick and carefully edit the settings so that the lowend on the kick and the bass aren't clashing too hard.

Finally, I group my drum rack (my kick) and massive (the bass) together and compress them.

That might sound like a lot for you right now, but if you really want to become a better producer and have more control over your sound you should look into researching some of the techniques I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I might not be able to answer all of your bass related questions but if you need some help on applying these techniques, feel free to message me and I'll do the best I can to help you.

The reason you can't get this sound is because the are using hardware to drive the kick and then compress it. They got master engineers EQing the crap out of everything, you have no chance of getting a kick that sounds like that out of fruity loops. Like the previous poster said, learn to manipulate the sounds that you DO have access to, he gives you a great example of his process of sound manipulation is.

You arent just a beat maker, learn to think like an engineer and a producer. These top producers aren't just piano men, they are masters of sound manipulation.

Back