Is the bass guitar as deep an an 808?

4Leftwing

I've been looking to start using bass guitars instead of 808s (or any bass synth) in my music, but what worries me is that the bass guitar might not have the same rumble that synth basses have, as ironic as it might be. Can bass guitars produce the same rumble/strength/low-end?

Woah, just realized my old thread from like a month ago is still on page one.
Still haven't bought the bass. I'm still saving up.

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of "deep", for starters...

The standard 808 kick's fundamental is around ~47hz. The low E on a standard 4-string bass guitar is 41.2hz.

...but of course you can pitch your 808 samples lower, or you can tune the bass lower. And you can process both to sound wildly different.

808 fundamental frequency is louder than bass guitar fundamental frequency. So you can say that it's deeper. Depends on processing.

I would say your standard 808's have the ability to go lower but I mean you can really go low with a bass guitar and you can go high with 808's if you want to. If you are looking for how they sound at different frequencies it's just up to how you edit them. I would be careful if using both at the same time though. Down in the lower frequencies sound waves can get really muffled and gross sounding when you add multiple together if you aren't careful.

I would say focus more on which sounds get the style you're going for. 808s and bass guitars can be tuned to vary depth.

Back