Bass Frequencies and Instruments....???

Chew_Bear

I am somewhat confused because when I start comparing songs and genres with each other.....

I hear that the bass frequency range of one song will sound totally different from another song....even though they might use the SAME EXACT instrument/sound for their bass.

For example....

A. A hip hop song using a low 808 boom one-shot

....VS....

B. A EDM dubstep/trap song that also uses a low 808 boom one-shot.

Its funny because .... The 'character' / 'feel' and/or 'vibe' of the bass range between the 2 songs is so DIFFERENT.....And yet they both use the same exact instrument/sound.....

So...It obviously comes down to EQ, compression, reverb, delay and FX right....???

With that said.....

1. Which frequency range occupies the 'BASS' for most modern hiphop, Rap, Pop/R&B, EDM and Bass music...??? (As in general/eyeball estimate) I know there will be some slight differences depending on context, person and style.

2. Can you use anything for the bass as long as it can satisfy the 'needed frequencies' of a song according to its theme/character and vibe....???

A dubstep song using an 808 will have a pretty similar frequency balance to a hip-hop song with an 808... I'm not sure why you think they wouldn't

They both use the same sound but have different vibes, this is most likely due to the other elements in each song and also due to music theory and the notes chosen- not really FX and processing. Although there are a few different styles of 808, they're not really genre specific and you could use any in any genre

If you are actually hearing differences in overall frequency distribution between 2 songs that use similar instruments, then YES it comes down to how they were each mixed.

Having said that...yes, all 808 kicks (for example) will tend to sound at least similar, BUT so often producers are pulling drum shots from sample packs which are very different, and then even processing/tuning their kicks according to their own taste...therefore you can't assume that hip-hop producer A is using the exact same 808 kick sound as EDM producer B. Of course, you should use the sound that fits your song the way you want.

To answer your questions:

1. Bass generally occupies the frequency range 60-250 Hz. Sub-bass is from 20-60 Hz. Of course, an actual bass line could have frequencies above that in the track, if you take into account added layers to the sound like saturation, modulation or crazy resonance like a 303...things like that. And, naturally an instrument like a bass guitar can be played higher up so that it's sound is no longer in the "bass range" of the frequency spectrum. Same goes for a synth bass.

2. Sure, you can use whatever you want for any part of your song. Use a stretched rubber band for your bass...or blow across the top of a bottle. (I'm being serious) You're the artist, do what makes your creativity feel good! The general rule, which I think you're starting to understand by your questions, is that you "should" have a variety of instruments/sounds to fill the frequency spectrum, with minimal overlapping so that they all can be heard distinctly rather than mush together. (Of course, we all know what you're supposed to do with rules...learn them, and then break them!) If you are trying to fit into a specific genre....well sure, you can use the type(s) of sounds that are common for that genre. I'm not big on following genres, myself...but copying for the sake of learning and then branching out is awesome.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I am obviously trying to make EDM/Dance/Bass type music.....A couple weeks ago I was just messing around making 'beats'/loops as usual....

And I noticed that even though....I had an 808 Boom for 'some bass frequencies'....I could still tell that the beat/loop still didn't sound 'FULL' and exciting even though I had like 10 tracks total (i.e. drums, percs, lead synth, backup instrument, some FX, vocal chants etc).

And I was wondering...

1. Maybe I need to add more bass instruments to fill up the bass range (bass synth, bass guitar, sound design etc)...???

....OR....

2. Maybe I need to add a sub bass to fill the sub bass range...???

And I did not know which it was...so I was all confused that's all and the reason for the thread.

Thanks guys.

On a side note....

1. What kind of instrument is used to make that characteristic 'low 808 boom' one-shot....that is used in some hiphop, trap, twerk, edm songs...???

808 is a sub-bass. Saturated/distorted 808 is a sub-bass with some slightly higher bass frequency content

If the mix on your tracks doesn't sound quite right, post them and we'll see if we can tell you what's wrong

Back