Bass frequencies

ArcticWave

I have read now many articles ect. about bass frequencies in edm music. That your lowest bass should be E note hitting around 40hz and not below. Then there are these threads where people say that they never write songs example in D-minor. They say that A-minor is the best key to write. But A-minor and C-major is basically same key and root not in C-major is C and C1 is below that "magic 40hz". I've heard that club speakers like to play between 40 to 80hz. I've also heard that B1 is a good note for sub bass because it's hitting in good frequency. So if C1 is too low but B1 is good, why don't people use C2 which hitting in 65hz. Almost in the same frequency than "a good bass note" B1? I just don't get it?

Example I'm working on a club/mainroom style track which has sub bass keys going from C2 to G#1. And it sounds great in my 2 different headphones, my speakers and even from my laptop cos' I've used some saturation to bring that bottom so it can be heard in laptop, phones ect.

Sometimes I just don't get it.

Don't see a problem with that. There is no strict rule for bass frequencies. EDM tracks tend to not go below 40hz because it does not fit EDM (in my opinion at least) and it does not mean you should too.
You said it yourself that it sounds good on every driver you've checked. If it sounds good - it is good, right? :D

no rules but if I'm playing a low sine wave type of bass I'll try not to go below an A, it seems to get inaudible really fast past that point

I think it's because the notes of the A-minor scale are in the best frequency range in terms of an audible/punch relationship.
But again, there are no rules, just your ear.

Last edited:
I've heard beats in a live scenario one time where I had never heard bass occupying that low of a frequency before in any genre of music. Like the person was taking advantage of having those huge speakers in order to emit these very low frequencies. On normal speakers, you couldnt even use or hear the spectrum that this guy was making his basslines in.

Anyway, I just told that quick, dumb story because as long as the bass interacts well and sounds good with the rest of the composition, then there are no set rules. This guys' beats sounded really good with a frequency range that didnt even really make sense, or followed anyone elses rules for "how it should be" from a technical aspect, but it worked.

Back