basic break beat layout? help?

A

Amsterdam

anyone care to post some hints regarding and basic break beat drum layout? for example:

16 beat bar
bass X X X X
clap X X X X
snare X X

any suggestions?

BD: x--- ---- x--x ----
SD: ---- x--- ---- x---

Bar 1:
BD: x-x- --x- x--- --x-

Bar 2:
BD: x--- --x- --x- -x--

Bar 3 same as Bar 1:

Bar 4:
BD: x--- --x- --x- -x--
SD: ---- x--- ---- x-x-

Something of this sort?

That's a decent beat structure to start off with, Amsterdam, you can program your drum machine to something of that sort and then fill in with a high hat to make a respectable drum loop. I personally despise the "clap" sound, but if you are into that clappy house beat stuff you could go ahead and throw that in there in rhythm and you're set. Another idea would be to listen closely to breaks in the music you like, take a bar of the song and then break it down into pieces noting the time that each element triggers. Take the basic structure, and then recreate it with your own drum samples. I tend to do this when i can't get creative enough to come up with my own rhythm.

how would you go about emulating that flicky tricky stuff they do with the snare and or highhat? and some tom-rolls are pretty awesome. it would be good to be able to program like that!

Any others?

I like the idea of this thread, lets me punch in a few things I never tried before. Does anyone have any more beat patterns to share? Anything would be cool, I especially like breakbeat, but anything is welcome.

i'm in the process of documenting some basic patterns for my own learning sake.. i'll post them..
when i get a chance... anyone else?

Back