Basic Audio Editing Techniques

MistaFinnis

First of all sorry for double posting I just didnt know If I put it in the right spot

I use Pro Tools Le 6.9 and was wondering now that I have converted my midi tracks into audio tracks how do I copy and paste so that the first region does not cut off as soon as the pasted region is put on top of it...I know I just lost yall on that one..**Quit makin that face*** lol........

Lemme break it down...
I recorded 4bars worth of tracks...Lets say I wanna paste this into 8 bars worth of beat...Ok lets say Im doin a single track like a drum or string or somethin..Its 4bars and according to the audio wav it still has some sound that carries on into bar 5..Well when I copy that region and paste it onto bar 5.01.000 it cuts off the original part that because the new region overlaps it by basically replacing it..Feel Me??? Is there ANY way in pro tools to make these two regions both be heard until the 1st on is done or should I paste the second part onto another track and then bounce them...I did that but thats a *****..If I need to clarify what Im tryin to ask PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW...THAnks in advance

MistaFinnis said:
First of all sorry for double posting I just didnt know If I put it in the right spot

I use Pro Tools Le 6.9 and was wondering now that I have converted my midi tracks into audio tracks how do I copy and paste so that the first region does not cut off as soon as the pasted region is put on top of it...I know I just lost yall on that one..**Quit makin that face*** lol........

Lemme break it down...
I recorded 4bars worth of tracks...Lets say I wanna paste this into 8 bars worth of beat...Ok lets say Im doin a single track like a drum or string or somethin..Its 4bars and according to the audio wav it still has some sound that carries on into bar 5..Well when I copy that region and paste it onto bar 5.01.000 it cuts off the original part that because the new region overlaps it by basically replacing it..Feel Me??? Is there ANY way in pro tools to make these two regions both be heard until the 1st on is done or should I paste the second part onto another track and then bounce them...I did that but thats a *****..If I need to clarify what Im tryin to ask PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW...THAnks in advance

OK, so just to make sure i am understanding you correctly:

lets say you have a 4 bar drum loop. The last beat of the drum loop is a crash cymbal that rings out. When you loop the 4 bars, the ring-out of the crash cymbal gets cut short and abruptly stops when you loop back to bar 1 of your beat.

Assuming this is what you are talking about, here is what you do:

1. set up your sequencer to play 8 bars of your drum loop and record that for at least 10 bars or so... this meand you will hend up with 8 full bars of drum loop and some extra space recorded at the end.

2. cut the audio at the end of the 4th bar and at the end of the 8th bar.

3. now, you have 3 pieces of audio. Each one is 4 bars. One is 4 bars from the beginning of what you recorded and one is 4 bars from the end of what you recorded. and a third has a bit of trail off from the crash cymbal and blank audio.

4. start your drum track using the 1st (beginning) piece of audio.

5. then, for each repeat after that, use the second piece of audio you cut. This piece will start with crash cymbal's decay portion carried over from the first part of the loop. It will match up with the first half of the crash cymbal that got cut off when you sliced the loop.

6. you don't want to start your drum track with this piece of audio because, if you do, you will be starting with a chopped piece of crash cymbal that doesn't belong there. That is why you start with the first piece of audio... it is clean.

7. so, when you want to end your drum track and have the crash cymbal trail off and not be chopped off unnaturally, you just use the 3rd piece of audio that has the trail-off of the crash... it will match up with the part of the loop before it.

Does that make sense?

that concept will work for whatever type of instrument loop you are working with.

Wait Im sorry let me ge one thing right real quick
When U Said....
1. set up your sequencer to play 8 bars of your drum loop and record that for at least 10 bars or so... this meand you will hend up with 8 full bars of drum loop and some extra space recorded at the end.

Were u talking about set up my sequencer to play 8 bars as in play the Midi file 8 bars?..Or play the 4bar audio 8bars?..Im sorry for coming across as a dummy.

To clarify on my reply...So are u sayin I should make my MIDI at least 8 bars then...Worst case scenario what if I dont have the midi anymore and all I have is a 4 bar loop? I know I know I sound stupid as hell but I think Im missing something..preciate the patience tho

MistaFinnis said:
To clarify on my reply...So are u sayin I should make my MIDI at least 8 bars then...Worst case scenario what if I dont have the midi anymore and all I have is a 4 bar loop? I know I know I sound stupid as hell but I think Im missing something..preciate the patience tho

sorry I didn't respond sooner... I just now saw your post...

Yes, midi for 8 bars. You need the midi for that long because you need that overlap point in the loop when it is recorded to audio.

Your only alternative is to set up 2 audio tracks... each with the 4 bar loop you already recorded (and as you said, even though the midi loop is only 4 bars, you recorded the audio longer than that getting the trail-off)...

Start one loop at bar 1...

start the next loop (the one on the other track) at bar 5...

now you will have the trail-off of bar 4 overlapping into bar 5.

This will sound just like if you had recorded 8 bars of midi...

Now, you can bounce this to a stereo audio file and do everything I described earlier.

Also, I just thought of one more thing...

Is your 4 bar loop repeating the same 1 bar loop 4 times?

If it is... then you already have everything you need... just do what I originally described but cut your audio at the end of 1 bar and at the end of the second bar. Then do everything else the same way.

Back