bad workflow!

Pulen

I'll explain my problem as short as possible...
Every single project of mine stops at arrangement. It seems like i just cant do it properly, i lack creativity in that field i think. I got some good loops, bass etc that ive made, and it all sounds good together, but when i start doing arrangement i just fall into an obstacle of somekind...

I think something that would help you (and helped me when I had no idea) is to simply listen to a song that you like and then ARRANGEMENT WISE, copy it as close as possible, using your own sounds and melodies. This will help you ease into understanding what arrangements work, what successful songs do with their arrangement, and how to transition. And as a bonus, since arrangement in most genres stick pretty close to a formula, you won't be criticized for blatantly ripping an artist off while you're figuring the whole thing out! :cheers:

Good advice...i alrdy tried this and it does help, but my problem lies sonewhere in my head...it seems that i cant divide my processes(production,mixing,arrangement...) and always end up in a confusion of somekind ..

I have a very similar issue as you and definitely know where you're coming from. I have a ton of projects that are simply "half complete" because I can't decide what instruments I want to start where, or when to introduce kick, bass, chords, etc - but yet I have all the melodies and synths down.

Like said above one of the best things to do in my opinion is to listen to some of the best songs from your genre, and write down every 4 bars what new instruments you hear, and then apply that to your song and see how it sounds.

The arrangement of your song can be as unique as you'd like, and I think that's the biggest issue I have as a perfectionist. I have taken a song and swapped around the introduction of new instruments too many times to count, yet it seems like nothing is really "what I want." There are some songs where the melody begins right away (say starting as a pluck or light saw, then transitioning to a heavy saw) and some where the song is just a really long introduction and riser sweep, only to crash and play the melody for all 8 bars before the drop.

Here's a suggestion: try figuring out what you want your song to be BEFORE you start recording it. The problem I see with those struggling with arrangement is that they start recording before they ever had a finished idea, as if the idea is supposed to "write itself" as they go along. This usually leads to a bunch of unfinished projects and discarded ideas. Thats like building a house with no concept of what the finished structure iwill look like-who does that? Architects don't start building anything until the house is finished on paper. I guarantee they aren't acting like "Uh, I don't know what this building will look like when its finished, I can't decide how many floors its supposed to have, I'll just keep building until I decide its done, I guess". That doesn't make sense in real life, so why do we think it does in the creative arts?

The key is to VISUALIZE the project as a completed SONG, and then record it. All those "what sounds to use, what instruments to use, what arrangement to use" questions should be answered in the visualization phase-not in the production/recording phase. You should already know what the finished song sounds like before ever stepping to your daw, then you can make small adjustments from there.

In film, everything crucial to the development of the project from casting actors to scripting to location scouting is done in pre-production. The director and production team, having the full vision of what the completed project will look like in their heads, are just translating it to film.

The key here is to write the song in your head first, and then take that finished song and turn it into sound. You guys are working backwards trying to figure out "what you want" as you go before you ever knew what you wanted in the first place.

Last edited:
That was very precise on what you said scrapheaper. Trying to figure out what you want as you go is the wrong way To go. Something I have had a problem with lately because I am trying to rush things.

I think what you need is just practice and time..Rule of 10k hours is not some bullshit..My arrangemments are still not good enough but they are definitly better than few months ago. I believe that everyone have to find his unique kind of arrangement that will feel naturrally and fit to your own style.But you have to discover it by experiencing and by small pieces..
If you listen to 99% of amateur EDM tracks at soundcloud they all sucks at arrangements, even if drop is good produced and nice sounding.People focus and practice mostly drops as a main part IMO..But every part of the track is important..If intro is boring and bad produced than no one will wait till drop..People just skip to other track..
I started practicing to produce whole tracks only by using piano (or one bass and one synth) and drums..So I dont have to waste time on sound designing bunch of instruments and mixing if I need mainly to improve my arranging and making my track to feel as an one piece of music and not a few different loops spliced together ..Maybe you can try that too..

Last edited:
Another way of practicing is visualizing your arrangements. Take a piece of paper and represent each part as a box (Bass, Drums, Melody Counter Melody, Lead etc.) You can even break things like your drums down to the component instruments, and then start putting them together in different patterns (drums and bass only, drums and melody only, bass and melody, etc.) Use these combinations kinda like building blocked to sketch out the basic framework of your songs. If you are using a DAW like FL, you can do this without the paper. At first this technique may sound kind of mechanical, so make sure to add transitions so there is still flow in the music. Remember that these are just frameworks, and that you can be fluid when you feel the song calls for it, but this way, the arranging is a linear process with a guide you can use when you get stuck.

A great thing that I do to find inspiration for my music is to listen to other styles of music that interest you and it can really help you build ideas from there. Also man even physically writing or typing things down on how you plan on arranging your song can help you a lot too, and what sounds you want to use.

All of the above. And when you get stuck for more than 5 minutes, taking a break and doing something music unrelated (e.g. going for a short walk around the block) can help wonders. Your brain can work freely on the song, while you don't stare at your screen. And it will most likely come up with some good ideas.

the thing with arrangement is it can go anywhere. the doors are so infinite. it can start any way, continue anyway, end anyway. that doesnt mean they all work though. you have to get a feel for the direction you want. study the songs that you like and realize what it is about them that you like. minor things like that that register to our intuition can be studied at a conscious level. so that drop that registers to someone as an emotional turn in a song is just a producer taking out the bass and letting the instruments rock for a few

taking a break is good advice on anything. your brain needs that time to be like "whoa, whats this world outside of music?" then when you go back its a clean slate again

Back