Is it bad to use delays and echo's on samples?

anon83

I've been making hip hop beats for a while on Reason. I'm barely getting into sampling. I've never been too fond of it, but i want to learn it regardless. Some samples i have found, i ended up cutting them up. However if i make a beat using the sample...sometimes the sample will end in a sudden cut. I usually ad a slight delay so the sample can echo out in order to keep the track moving, and to eliminate the sudden stop of the samples. Is there another way to do this or should i just stick to my method????

Why would anything that makes something sound better would be bad?

That said, depending on the nature of the sample, you could just edit very short fades in the end of it to make it end smoother. Other than that, everything's a fair game...

You can't use delay or echo on samples, if you do, the music police aliens who are monitoring your studio will land and anally probe you until you wish you never heard of a delay before.

if you are having trouble with samples ending abruptly you should play around with the envelope on your sampler (the silders/knobs marked ASDR, or, Attack, Sustain, Decay, Release.)
In particular the sustain- turning this all the way down will keep the note from playing full volume the whole way so you hear it abruptly stop, and then you can tweak the decay to help make the volume roll off quietly into silence. Finally depending on the sample you can tweak the release to make the fade even more to your liking.
Alternatively, if you have an audio editor, there should should be some option to automatically edit the sample's volume to fade out.

@ bosko's comment- this just adds more noise- its not a bad idea but for hip hop beats you probably want a clean sound so this wouldnt help much.

and in regard to the echo and delay question-
if it sounds good- there is no problem.
there is no formula or rules for writing good music

it depends on the feel of the track. dj premier is a sampleing messiah.its all chopy abrupt samples but its dope,it all depends on how you do it. if you have a sample thats to short, try breaking it up, or try re-writeing it. if the sample doesnt fit try something diffrent.

Back