Is it bad if my beats sound like songs I like?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys as the title says, I know there is a thin line between influence and copying. Most of the time I make beats I tend to make them based of songs I like. I hear a song and I'm like I want to make a beat like that but not exactly so I do throw my own twist and spins on them and stuff. But is it bad if my beats sound like some of the songs I like? I would love others opinions and thoughts on it.

Examples would be good. No issue with sounding like someone when you start out. At some point you should have some insight on how you want things to sound different to how others have done it though. If you don't know what you want to do differently i would sit in a quiet place for a while and be a little introspective.

It is in human nature to do what he likes and to create the same or similar thing what he has seen and enjoyed.
Its not bad at all, create create create until You will take parts from one style and mix with oter style and at the end creating Your type of beats. :)

Yep. "Originality" isn't - and can't be - something that you "just come up with"; it's an amalgam of influences - but obviously there have to be lots of them in order for something "new" to arise. So if there's a common trait in musicians that have a fresh new sound, it usually turns out that they've simply listened an absorbed a lot of music on a wide spectrum.

As long as you change it up & make it your own to the point that you're not blatantly copying the beat in its entirety, you should be good to go. Just like how using samples of a song/beat in your song, can be done in an original/unique way. Just use common sense and good sense of judgement.

Originality is to always be encouraged but also overrated as the novelty aspect of all genres has long been worn off as all genres have been/get co-opted and repurposed. Just do whatever it is that make you you. If you are a reader I highly suggest The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron.

Back