background something missing? beats sounds empty

this is something that mess with me when making a beat why do my beat sound incomplete like somethings missing im going to link an example of my problem hopefully someone can help im making a beat that has chords in the chorus when i drop the chords out going into the verse it just get very empty and usually what i do is add a low string or low brass or a pad in the low range and hold it on the root note threw out the verse that usually makes the beat to me sound full but i hate doing that because sometimes i dont wanna use a pad brass etc etc holding it like that sounds generic i really dont have this problem with beats that has a chord progression thru out or more complexed musical beats the odd thing is i have this problem on simple beats :( i have the hardest time making beats that dont use a chord progression or parts of a beat with no chords playing to be it sounds like a lack of harmony idk im stomped

beat example: war with gods by yungmusic216 - HulkShare this beat is rough i wasn't done just got frustrated with my problem and stopped

Huh. "Hulkshare" is not giving me access. Here's the thing though-- why wouldn't there be chords/harmony in the verse sections? If it sounds like there isn't any harmony, that's because there isn't any, and you should add some...

Well yeah see that's the thing i don't wanna add chords to the verse so I'm stomped any other solution? Or ways to add harmony with out adding chords idk

In composition, when we say "harmony," we generally mean chords. If you have one chord or no chords, you will have a more sparse sound. If that is by design, then congrats, but you can't have chords and no chords at the same time.

You could try a simple melody line and then create actual note for note harmonies for that, but that seems more distracting than a simple progression would be if you are looking for sparse/stripped down.

When you add a keyboard pad, brass, or strings, if you play more than one note at a time, you are still adding chords.

Back