augmented piano chords

Y

youngnuke001

can some one please tell me what augmented chords and notes mean
with using a bunch of other words i dont know please explain in the most simple ways as possible thanx in adv:sing:

A augmented chord is basically a major chord with the last note of the chord raised by one note. So C major goes from C-E-G to C-E-G# (or Ab depending how you look at it) for example.

Thats correct ^

The augmented chord spelling is: 1 3 #5 (might write it differently in US tho)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does augment only apply to the last note? I was under the impression that you could augment or diminish any of the intervals that make up a specific chord.

Sure, the interval from C to D is a major second, so the interval from C to D# is an augmented second. If this had been spelled C to Eb, then it would be a minor third.

^^^ Heh, I was thinking about a flattened 5th.

Oh, I get the confusion. I'm thinking of a guitar, where the 5th is played as the second interval a lot.

MY reference was to the idea of "the last note of a chord". I'd never heard of only augmenting or diminishing the last note of a chord as the definition.

the way i teach aug's and dim's is .
Augmented = Major Major (double major)
Diminished = Minor Minor (double minor)
example: To get Eaug . you hit E-
ab since that would define the E Major, then i hit C after Ab, since Ab-C makes Ab major.
and to get the Edim, its all minors , E to G makes E minor, and G to Bb makes G minor, Bb to C# makes Bb minor, and C# to E makes C# minor and were back to E. i dont know if i explained it well

Back