Audio Sound design (Is this possible?)

Sequence2

Been getting more comfortable with audio files as opposed to just midi as they can be a great tool for any production (as many already know)
Currently working within Ableton suite 8 and I was wondering if it is possible (maybe not in this DAW but in other DAWS) to edit the waveform itself..
There is a reverb sound file that spans 16 bars, but I only want to use the first 4 bars for my production.. essentially what I want I can explain with a simple visual example
Original sound - ....ooooooooOOOOOOOOO000000000000000000OOOOOOOOoooooo.....
What I am trying to do - ....ooooOOOO0000OOOOoooo....
So essentially I want to go halfway through the waveform portion (After 2 bars) and I want to decrease the amplitude level gradually. The sample does this.. but over the course of 16 bars, whereas I want to crop the clip at 4 bars and manipulate the amplitude at certain sections (As of right now I can only find a control to manipulate the overall amplitude of the clip, not a sectional option).

If you are working with Ableton and you know how to do this, I would greatly appreciate some feedback (even if it's just a page number in the manual)
Or if you know you can do this in your DAW (or other DAWS) then I guess i'll take that step if I know its possible!

Thanks

Last edited:
As long as I know, Ableton really does not support destructive audio editing natively, you have to download an external audio editor (Audacity, Wavosaur, oceanaudio being some of the free ones), load the file and then by analysis and clever cuts you can edit the audio file, but I warn you that it's not that easy to make it sound natural. Also, you want to keep that reverb tail, right? I would cut somewhere in the middle where the sound is sustained or close to sustained. Be careful with the waveform shape then, it should stay undivided unless you get those crackle sounds.
Do a few different takes and decide which one sounds the best ;)

I just want the first 4 bars of the clip, nothing more (I see how my explanation was somewhat confusing)
I've actually only tried the LPF filter envelope.. didn't consider the volume one (DUH!)
If that doesn't work I guess i'll try one of those free plugs in that you mentioned above!
thanks for the reply guys

As long as I know, Ableton really does not support destructive audio editing natively, you have to download an external audio editor (Audacity, Wavosaur, oceanaudio being some of the free ones), load the file and then by analysis and clever cuts you can edit the audio file, but I warn you that it's not that easy to make it sound natural.)

I don't see any reason to do destructive editing here, though...

yeah Krushing is right. This questions a bit odd because its worded as if youre asking for something really advanced, but its very straight forward. Live even has built in faders that you can drag in at the end of the clip to do a fade in/out

I'd definately use automation or faders. you dont really have to edit the audiofile if you use automation or faders :P

When in arrangement mode select and Highlight the clip you want to keep and then right clikc And CONSOLIDATE and that will cut the file . Then add some volume automation / volume envelope to the start and the end .
Hopefully this helped some.

Back