Associated Board Grade 5 theory

G.E.PRODUCTIONS

Can someone please explain what exactly does Associated Board Grade 5 theory include? (Preferably Bandcoach since he's a teacher)

I've signed up for a course for which I'm paying quite a lot of money so I want to make sure that I'm prepared, to make the most out of it.They mention that what I already need to know is
roughly equivalent to Grade 5 music theory or GCSE Music.I probably already know that already but I can't be sure because I'm self taught so far.

Also,I will be reading a lot of scores in this course.I already know how to read the treble and bass clef but going through some orchestral scores I've noticed this type of clef and I don't know what it is or how to read it: (it's the third one)

http://cnx.org/content/m10941/latest/ClefPractice.png

that is the C clef (the other two are known as the G clef (treble clef) and the F clef (bass clef)).

It is important to know that each clef represents the fixed position of a given note , the naming note of each clef the G clef is the G above Middle C, the F clef is the F below middle C and the C clef is middle C

in that picture

ClefPractice.png

these are called the Treble clef, the Bass clef and the Alto clef, because they are used for those voice types.

If you move the treble clef so that it has the middle loop resting on the bottom line then it becomes the Soprano clef;

If you move the F clef so that the two dots sit either side of the middle line it is known as the Baritone clef;

If you move the C clef so that the arrow sits on the second line form the top it is now the Tenor clef.

There are other names for other positions but these are the six main ones

A vocal part for a Tenor may also be written the same as the Treble clef but with an 8va next to the lower loop indicating that teh pitch is sounded one octave below - this is also called a Tenor clef by some theorists

as for the ABSRM content

see this http://gb.abrsm.org/fileadmin/user_upload/syllabuses/theoryComplete10.pdf

There is a lot of knowledge to cover based on a quick read through of the requirements. This knowledge base would normally take 2-5 years to acquire depending on your motivation

Thank you ! I am relieved to see that I know most of that already, except for the C clef.I'm surprised that it usually takes 2-5 years to acquire that knowledge because it really isn't that much.It should all be done in a year in my opinion.

you realise that it includes everything from 1-4 as well - this is why pumpthrust said it is no joke having all of that skill, which I agree with

my 2-5 years is based on spending 6 months to a year per grade level to master it properly - i.e. well enough to do without having to think about it.......

Yes,I did take into account 1-4 as well.Knowing the theory and doing it without thinking about it are 2 different things.In that case I agree with you.But I wasn't talking about mastering it to the point where you're doing it without thinking.

For example when I'm figuring out the sharps in a key I still have to do that nonsense in my head (Fat Cats Go Down Alleys Eating Birds)
It takes me a little longer but I can do it with no problems.

Last edited:
Yes,I did take into account 1-4 as well.Knowing the theory and doing it without thinking about it are 2 different things.In that case I agree with you.But I wasn't talking about mastering it to the point where you're doing it without thinking.

For example when I'm figuring out the sharps in a key I still have to do that nonsense in my head (Fat Cats Go Down Alleys Eating Birds)
It takes me a little longer but I can do it with no problems.

unfortunately when you reverse that phrase to work out the sequence of flats it no longer makes sense
(Birds Eating Alleys Down Go Cats Fat)

unlike

Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle

which reverses nicely to

Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles Father

however, I digress, the point of knowing and applying theory is to do it without thought - if you are stopping and starting to remember stuff for this new course you will quickly find yourself behind the gun and struggling to keep up - I watched some of my colleagues during my first degree struggle badly because their theory knowledge was severely lacking and they did not have the basic skills to survive the first week of classes let alone the rest - degree programs are sometimes structured on the basis of attrition: weeding out the so-so students to ensure that only the best graduate, but in this day and age that is generally frowned upon.

I would advise you to start reinforcing your understanding of the knowledge and concepts at all of those levels so that they become second nature - there are some things that you will inevitably forget - I recently had to revise my knowledge of using the augmented triad (results are in a thread somewhere here) as I rarely use it in a context where it must be used "properly", but it is good to visit and revisit these things from time to time

Last edited:
Back