The Art Of Ruining A Beat :)

4-Getta

Yes! There it is! My great drum loop and my sweet little melody. It doesn't even need a bassline, everythings working out right now. But...if it's stays like this, it will only be a loop. It needs something more to it, to be completed. But what?
If I throw a brass or something in it, I will ruin this nice sounding beat... fo'sho...

Do you guys know this situation?
It's terrible!!
I've just created a great loop, but I'm afraid of ruining it, by putting some more stuff in it, wich is necessary to make it an instrumental...

Got any ideas?

I'm sure you feel me...
What do you do in this kind of situation? :)

Last edited:
Use ghost notes. make a new melody with whateva instrument and turn down tha volume till its almost inaudible. You might not be able to hear it, but it'll make a world of difference.

i know what u mean and i think thats the only thing u can do...

fill it out with quiet notes leaving the bit u like dominant

Find out whats missing in the frequency spectrum. Does it have enough highs? enough mids? If not, fill these holes in with something subtle.

Just don't fill the frequency spectrum up too much or you'll have some nice sounding mud.

4-Getta said:
Yes! There it is! My great drum loop and my sweet little melody. It doesn't even need a bassline, everythings working out right now. But...if it's stays like this, it will only be a loop. It needs something more to it, to be completed. But what?
If I throw a brass or something in it, I will ruin this nice sounding beat... fo'sho...

Do you guys know this situation?
It's terrible!!
I've just created a great loop, but I'm afraid of ruining it, by putting some more stuff in it, wich is necessary to make it an instrumental...

Got any ideas?

I'm sure you feel me...
What do you do in this kind of situation? :)

If, like you said, your piece containing only drums and a melody feels finished to you and, like you said, adding anything else to it will ruin it... well, then, don't add anything else to it.

I have not heard your piece, so I cant really comment on the sound, but there is nothing wrong with it being only drums and a melody (if that is all the piece "wants".)

What you need to to take it from a "loop" to a "song" is to STRUCTURE it. A "loop" by definition is simply a repeating phrase... you need to structure it into a full song. Maybe have the drums start out more sparse, ease the melody in, have a breakdown, whatever.... I don't know... it is your song... I haven't even heard it.

gGood luck and have fun! :)

The previous post above mine is a great point. Not all songs need a great bass line if what you got in the melody and drums is enough to carry the majority of the track.

Now, with that said, this is what I try to fill my beats out.

As stated before, add some fillers of frequency ranges if thats applicable. Ghost notes are great ways of filling in emptiness.

I try to include these pieces into my arrangements.

1 Drums
2 Bass
3 Melodic Instruments
4 Chordal Instruments
5 Vocal Samples
6 (Optional) Chopped Samples

For each of these there should be different patterns, find a structure for you.

In most main stream hip hop, it seems to follow a very vauge structure; 4 bar intro (sometimes half as long or twice as long), 4-8 bar bridge or hook, 16 bar verse, 4 bar hook x 2, 16 bars, 8 bars.

As well, bar 1 of hte verse will also be bar 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13. Bar 2, 6, 10, 14 will be your alternate of bar one, meaning add a kick, change up some hi hats, but keep it very similar. All patterns should have slight variations. Bar 4 and 12 are breaks, meaning a couple more kicks and snares to really add flavor. Bars 8 and 16, drops, usually a kick on the downbeat (1st step of 16 steps) and a couple fading hi hats. Keep the drops with no snare and very little kicks or hi hats. This is where the melody should kick up a notch and prepare to drop into the hook, if one is there.

Now the hook can use the same breaks and drops as the verses if so desired. I like to keep them the same, use the break on bar 4 of the hook and the drop on bar 8. I usually create two new drum patterns for the hook. Bar 1,3 and 5, 7 are all the same, while 2 and 6 are alternate hook drums, a lil added spice.

A bridge is completely different than anything else in the song. Its not quite the hook, but its not a verse. This usually means new drum patterns are made, so if you have an 8 bar hook made a new pattern for bar 1, 3, 5, and 7. As well, a new alternate drum pattern for bars 2 and 6. Breaks and drops can be used from the original verse bars, but you can always get creative and change those too, its really up to you.

With all this being said for just the drums, all the pieces listed above (1-6) should all follow the same structure. Its also a good idea to create your patterns based on what they are, like your drums and percussion should each be divided into their appropriate spots, while your melodic ones would have their respective pattern as would your chordal ones.

Hope this helps.

Now that's a very long tutorial.
Thank you very much!

I've decided to upload an instrumental of mine, so that you can listen to it and tell me your opinions.
Like what's missing, what's too much, if it's perfect the way it is or whatever.
I don't know what you are working with, but I'm working with FL Studio.
So for the cause of expirience, I would love to hear instrumentals of you too :)
It would be really nice if anybody could upload something he made.

Here is my instrumental:

It's not finished yet, but in my opinion it's very close to...and yeah it's tagged "a bit" =)

personally, it sounds fine as far as filling in and not over-doing anything, but maybe you would like to change up the string pattern or something, (e.g. before the second verse or before the second chorus)instead of adding other ****..but as said before, its your personal preference

I didn't listen to the song, but just from reading your descritpion: YOU NEED BASS! Drums and bass are the HEART of a song, you can't go without them. Even if the bass is really subtle, and goes along with the kick so you don't notice it, you need it.

You can also make it really sparse, like one note every measure at the beginning or something.

Well, throw in some really low 808 bass, or just add an 808 kick at the beginning of every 4 measure phrase.

Back