Army style beat

shortlthug

Hello Future producers how ya'll doing?I've been trying to creata a beat using army snare rolls like in Eminem-Like toy soldiers or Kanye West-Jesus walks but i dont really now how to make the drums work togather every time I do it it doesn't sound right.Any tips for this style of beat?Thanks a lot.Bey

If you're looking for snare rolls, check out YouTube. I know Warbeats did a tutorial on snare rolls. I can't post a link yet, but I dont know, maybe you'll learn something in there.

I'd say get an idea in your head of how u want it to sound hit record do it with ur midi and quantize..shouldn't be too hard just play with it and u should be good

those are one I tweaked off of the korg TR, the actual roll part is its own sample, and I programmed it in my MPC to have the single snare cut off the snare roll.

dont know if this helps... but with me i always 1- drum on the desk, u know when you at school and someone is rapping you beat on something... so i learned how to play a metronome if i havent started a track already... but anyway ill start something at a tempo.. and try to improvise and drum on the desk how i want my snare roll to go.. and then lay it down..
thats pretty much the hard part im use to it, but when you get in the piano roll for the 1st time trying to do a snare roll the way you hear it, its kinda difficult

or you can just go to the piano roll and just click stuff see what it sound like... and then arrange accordingly.. a trial and error type thing bro

Last edited:
I got a little bit of a drummer boy beat going on in one of my beats. Check it out at the link below. It's beat 9.

My question is where can one find samples like that of really sharp, small snares. Another example is Daddy Yankee's "Jefe".

DJ_Mc7 said:
My question is where can one find samples like that of really sharp, small snares. Another example is Daddy Yankee's "Jefe".
Search for real drum kits or something like that i also have som samples from Proteus x2 that have snare rolls

truncating the sample helps, as does linking velocity to filter cutoff so the sound gets darker as the volume goes down. Vary velocities or else there's no point in linking velocity to the filter.

Back