***"Apologize" by Timbaland***

owendolmer said:
I couldn't agree more.
Although I have an ENORMOUS respect for Timbaland, I think his version detracted from the brilliant composition of the original. Yes he's got quite the repertoire of drum licks, BUT, it just sounded a little amateur compared to the original. One republic had little to do with the actual crafting of the original song.

Just another thing, the song is a typical ballad song....nothing new or 'brilliant' even though I still really like the song. Its a very common chord progression that is used in many songs......people just dont realise it eg.

Complicated by Avril Lavigne
Otherside by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Going Under by Evanescence

and just for reference, it was first used in the song 'San Francisco' by Scott McKenzie.

the list goes on.

yes you are quite right, this is also a tip for musicians, a good framework for a song is often a tried and tested chord progression, theres so many ways to dress it up, using inverted chords, arpeggeios, well the list is endless... and thats just at theory level, with production you can make it truly your own.

there is no shame in it either, its tried and tested because it sounds good, and our ears are attuned to expect it from our experience with music in the western world.

you have probably, well, almost certainly done it before, without realising, because it sounds so natural.

salvia said:
Just another thing, the song is a typical ballad song....nothing new or 'brilliant' even though I still really like the song. Its a very common chord progression that is used in many songs......people just dont realise it eg.

and just for reference, it was first used in the song 'San Francisco' by Scott McKenzie.

the list goes on.

how easy is it really to do the whole chords progrssion thing. does one jus take the same set of chords an set em up differently, and another question. do certain chord progressions actually have an effect on the human ear?(like a subconscious like for certain notes)

Last edited by a moderator:
salvia said:

the list goes on.

"Common chord progressions" will always exist, It's also about how you translate that into sound. IMVHO Greg's choice of instrumentation on that track and his sonic translation from a mix/engineering perspective is nothing short of brilliant. There's a not-so typical reason as to why that song has received more fame then those three songs.

:cheers:

owendolmer said:
"Common chord progressions" will always exist, It's also about how you translate that into sound. IMVHO Greg's choice of instrumentation on that track and his sonic translation from a mix/engineering perspective is nothing short of brilliant. There's a not-so typical reason as to why that song has received more fame then those three songs.

:cheers:

I dont think thats right.....the reason why that song is so big is cos timbaland put it on his album.....that particular chord progression is successful no matter what the incarnation....its just playing it safe cos everyone likes it.....to make an uncommon chord progression successful is a skill.....

salvia said:

the list goes on.

Wow I never really noticed that those songs sound the same but different. Does that mean that they all started on the same key and that the distance between all the chords have to be the same? I'm new to the piano realm.

Fort Apache said:
Wow I never really noticed that those songs sound the same but different. Does that mean that they all started on the same key and that the distance between all the chords have to be the same? I'm new to the piano realm.

It means the intervals (distance) between th chords is the same....

salvia said:
I dont think thats right.....the reason why that song is so big is cos timbaland put it on his album.....that particular chord progression is successful no matter what the incarnation....its just playing it safe cos everyone likes it.....to make an uncommon chord progression successful is a skill.....

Wrong.
The real reason the song's big is simple. No Greg Wells? -> No Apologize original -> No Timbaland "remake"
I'm pretty sure that's end of story.

:hello:

I have the instrumental (don't ask) and you all are completely wrong, he added a lot of stuff to the track. Its a shame how someone who has done great harmless things, gets hated on... but then again, can you say J E S U S?

Broken Friday said:
I have the instrumental (don't ask) and you all are completely wrong, he added a lot of stuff to the track. Its a shame how someone who has done great harmless things, gets hated on... but then again, can you say J E S U S?

There's something like 93247592375290687590147509457819054 versions of that song? Which one do you have?

I remade the song and added a lot of the original instrumentation. For example, OneRepublic's drum beats, the guitar solo at around 2:20 seconds, mixed cello/viola/violin as the backbeat, and the backup guitar.

This is what Timbaland did:
-Took the drum pattern from the original version, put his own drums, and literally removed 2-3 drums and made it like this:
B=Kick, K=clap
B---B-k----BB---BK----BB----BK----BB----Bk

The original first pattern:
B---B-k---B---BBBk----B-----BkB---BB-B-BBk

Also, since Timbo and Danja love that water drop/clave/coconut sound it's used as a replacement for hi-hats (even though there is still hi-hats and also used as a replacement for some of the original drums)

Apart from that, he added a synthesized saw violin line, starting in the second verse. (I take another chance, take a fall, take a shot for you)

The piano is all the same, it just comes in at the beginning of the song as opposed to 15 seconds in.

Anyways...didn't mean to bore you guys but yeah.

BTW, just if anyone is wondering, the song is composed in D# Minor

If you wanna hear it, I uploaded it here:
z-share.net/audio/6587737272492e (remove the dash!)

(Note to mods/admins: Um...why is Zeeshare blocked? o_O)

Last edited:
thanx dude. how i hated learning b minor....nyway thats got plenty info in it. Dont u agree that the mixing is way betta than the original. the voice sounds clearer and the piano feels "timbofied"....

It does. The vocals on the original are very good...but on the remix (I'm gonna stop calling it the Timbo since I remixed it too!) sounds a lot clearer.

Correction to previous post: Apologize is composed in C Minor.

Last edited:
Back