Aphex twin

jonesee

Hello any help would be great.

Does anyone know how aphex twin makes his sounds stop and start like a vinal stops and starts. He does it on the the windowlicker track about 1/2 to 3/4's the way through the track.
!!!Oh I use logic!!!

:cheers: J

Allmost any audio editor has a "start-stop effect". it's quite basic. I know soundforge has it for sure. It's called turntable-start or something.

it's comparable to changing you pitch over time, (i think).

:cheers: OK thanks for ur reply

I will check it out

Thanks J

Do you know any good web pages I could visit

For more info on this fx

Last edited:
record some real record stops - they sound better!! You don't have to spend much either - $25 for a cheap turntable and $1 for some old vinyl... You don't need good sound quality for a record stop!

VexaDJ said:
record some real record stops - they sound better!!

Sound better? But they will be stops of different input material, not the actual sound of your track ;)

Last edited:
That does NOT matter one tiny little jot and you know it. The sound of a record stop is what he wants, not hip-hop style scratching of a sample. They are two different things. For this task, what I've suggested would be fine. Listen to the Twin's stuff - the stops reffered to are just that - the sound of a needle being dragged across the vinyl and nothing more. Of COURSE different records will create different sounding stops - this is where experimentation comes in......

VexaDJ said:
That does NOT matter one tiny little jot and you know it. The sound of a record stop is what he wants, not hip-hop style scratching of a sample. They are two different things. For this task, what I've suggested would be fine.

I honestly think it does matter a great deal. Whether you want a generic "record stop" sample, or the actual effect of your sound stopping/starting, during a specified time, they are two very different things. As the original poster said "how aphex twin makes his sounds stop and start", I assume he's after a way to start and stop his sound, what ever it might be at any given moment.

I think Tapestop can help you with that particular effect, jonesee ;)

all i know is that aphex twin uses a custom-written (from a friend) tracker-like software. of course, you can do the same stuff with any other sequencer + sampler.

Oh yeh I forgot about the good old tracker approach! I'm not sure you could actually do it without a tracker, come to think of it (not as easy as with a tracker anyway).

To do this with a tracker, just play the sample at progressively lower pitch until it sounds like a record being played at quarter-speed. Then just stop the sample playing halfway through (set the volume to 00) and ther you have it, an authentic sounding stop, with your sound.

Most trackers will let you slow the sample down without retriggering the sample, so they are ideal for this technique. And it will sound like a record too, not a tapestop, which is a completely different sound.

Thanks moses, I'm going to dig up Buzz (a free tracker if anybody needs one - it's rather good) and rediscover 1991!!

VexaDJ said:
Most trackers will let you slow the sample down without retriggering the sample, so they are ideal for this technique. And it will sound like a record too, not a tapestop, which is a completely different sound.

True, a tracker is a nice environment for manipulating a sample this way. Renoise, as recommended by Moses, is indeed very nice. Having registered it somewhere in the beginning of 2005, I have been very pleased with it.

Anyway, I feel the different kinds of stops you can make with tracker-style sample speed adjustments aren't a completely different sound from a tapestop, it's just a matter of creating different pitch/volume curves for essentially the same effect. The Tapestop VST effect also lets you adjust the duration of the stop -- but yeah, you naturally have far more control when programming the speed/volume by hand. Of course, you have to work on an already rendered sample, so you can't apply this technique to your whole mix on the fly, like you can do with a dedicated insert effect.

There are many neato tricks one can achieve with trackers, so Jonesee, if you're interested in tweaking material of the Aphex Twin kind, you definitely might want to check them out at some point.

And oh, the modularity of the free Buzz tracker VexaDJ recommended is also great. There have been some amazing tracker/modular/mad scientist constructions coming out of that community during the years :D

Last edited:
Back