Anyone know of a program that generates midi style melodies and chord progressions?

I use logic pro x and am looking for something to inspire me, also who here is good with composition of notes or reccomends any places for composition of notes and chords?

Cheers!

Last edited:
try arranger-style keyboards.

I own a few, quite handy for progressions.

or look for updates and/or usergroups of those keyboards, their are too much to miss them

I have a piano and organ by ToonTrack. They're designed to help less musically inclined people write songs. They have built in chords and notes if you pick the style.

The drummer programs by ToonTrack are similar: You choose the BPM, genre of music, and type of beat - it plays.

I have a piano and organ by ToonTrack. They're designed to help less musically inclined people write songs. They have built in chords and notes if you pick the style.

The drummer programs by ToonTrack are similar: You choose the BPM, genre of music, and type of beat - it plays.

Of course Hip Hop sounds nothing like the reel thing and
Rhumba sounds like a drunk on a barrel, but those keyboards hide a lot of useful riffs.
You might find a known hook or 2 if you listen closely.
Those presets can bring you a hit, if used wisely.

But to OP,
why do you use logic pro, if you can't make compositions yourself?
Just makes me wonder :hmmm:

I would use it regardless, but I never said I couldn't make compositions, I like lady gaga and dirty synth sounds, hehe guess what I use beats headphones too haha, anyway... Thanks for the suggestions...

For me it's all about the piano roll and midi aspect, I am kind of dissatisfied so far, if anyone else can chime in please do so.. The mysteries within the piano roll is what music is, notes and time. Yet there is much attention directed at sound editing, envelops, filters etc.

I think this is a progressive topic for us as producers.

Hey now this program looks interesting, I am on my work break but will check it out when I get home, also when I said "dissatisfied" no disrespect to any above commentators helping our cause, cheers :)

Every daw has a piano roll---one of the most flexible sequencing tools that exist.
Then there's stuff like musescore too.

Not melodies, but if you want basic chord changes and arrangement touches with a specific groove or style, that can "morph" or add to the arrangement as it progresses, in a "generative" fashion, I think you are looking for "Band-in-a-Box." It's a great tool for song-writing ideas, soloing practice, and for the busy composer (a jingle-writer or TV/radio bumper music producer, for example), it could become a nice "assembly-line" approach to churning-out ditties. You set the key, put in basic chords and a set of measures, then select a style from the menu and let it do its thing.
PG Music Band-in-a-Box for Mac (boxed) | Sweetwater.com

GJ

Back