Anybody Got Reason 4.0 Yet?

Just get the demo in the meantime so you'll be familar with it when it arrives and you can jump right in.

Mind you, it times out ofter 20mins. Doesn't give you time to do a lot. I'm digging the regroove thing myself, not destructive quantizing and total change of the timing of your grooves without even touching the note positions.

Thor is neat too, been getting some solid sounds from it so far. I don't know how I feel about the sequencer yet, I guess I haven't had enough time to get used to it. I adopt the 'better the devil you know' philosophy.

i have it, the biggest improvment to me, is the sequencer, particularly the new notes function. It makes arranging a whole lot easier. Thor is pretty cool too.

I made a couple of ok beats with it. www.romelle.com

I didn't like the new sequencer and using "clips" at first, but I got used to it really fast. There are some new good sounds via thor....Some may not agree, so I would def check out the demo.

As for Regroove, I think the thing got a bad rap, but its actually a really great tool. If someone tells you its just quantize, don't listen to them.
I didn't like anything about Reason 4 instantly, but all the changes grew on me.

Last edited:
Only thing i don't like about R4, is the short cuts are different. Slowed me down considerably. I don't do a lot of sequencin in R4 itself, mainly just my drums now, cause i've figured out the Regroove mixer. Regroove is the only thing that keeps me from revertin back to R3. Same with Live6, i think i'm goin back to Live5 and R3, best combo all day. With short cuts, i'm fast as fck, not so much anymore tho. So i may go back. But if u don't Reason at all, R4 is a good place to start if ur not already rockin Reason. If you are, i would not break my back or the bank to get 4. Learn how to "get user groove" and work the combi and ur good. Hope this helps.
LevLove

I've been playing around with the demo, and so far, honestly I'm not quite sold on the sequencer. I love that its vector based and that you can edit the specifics of the midi data, but the clip based programming just isn't as intuitive for me as the standard reason "Grouping" method.

Don't get me wrong...Thor is cool..and so is the regroove mixer...I'd just say that the main problem is that a lot of the tweaks that they made don't build off of the workflow that many of the programs' users developed over the software's run.

eh' maybe it will grow on me...but the main PC in my studio is still running the workhorse Reason 3.0.

-Lodger

Last edited:
i got reason a week ago and still trying to feel it out.........anything can be used to make good music..i only got it cause my asr x went bad on me..and i make beats on that in 5 min... now the learning curve is slowing me down...i also own a mpc 1000.. learning that tooo... i will prevail............

MastaMnd said:
Ok, anything you'd like to share with the rest of us who don't have it yet?

well the biggest obvious additions are the new sound device, Thor. it comes with good presets but the fun is creating your own patches. One of my favorite additions is the ReGroove mixer. Forget robotic, cold, quantized music and get with a human sound. You can get tracks with different feels or grooves to have the same groove and vary how much the original groove is changed. then you have the sequencer window. to me the biggest improvement. you can add and view automation, easy to add overdubs or alternate takes. and it may not be a biggie but i love the fact that they added a pre-click to count you in. the only thing the sequencer window is missing is a staff view (but that would probably take away from the simplicity Propellerheads is aiming for.)

there are other tiny improvements but the ones i just mentioned makes the software well worth the $500.

Cool

MuSickJunKeyz said:
well the biggest obvious additions are the new sound device, Thor. it comes with good presets but the fun is creating your own patches. One of my favorite additions is the ReGroove mixer. Forget robotic, cold, quantized music and get with a human sound. You can get tracks with different feels or grooves to have the same groove and vary how much the original groove is changed. then you have the sequencer window. to me the biggest improvement. you can add and view automation, easy to add overdubs or alternate takes. and it may not be a biggie but i love the fact that they added a pre-click to count you in. the only thing the sequencer window is missing is a staff view (but that would probably take away from the simplicity Propellerheads is aiming for.)

there are other tiny improvements but the ones i just mentioned makes the software well worth the $500.

I have had 3.0 for about 1 1/2 and it works for me. The only thing so far that I'm intrigued about 4.0 is the Re-Groove thing. I haven't read anything about it, but it sounds like something worth having. What does it do? Does it have the ability to take a Re-Drum pattern and give it more groove than playing with the Shuffle option would? I never really messed Grooves or Re-grooves or anything like that. Like does it give the track the same effect as having a loop (drums) underneath the whole track or something? I'm very interested in see what it can do! The pre-count sounds nice too. Cuz I still can't get my 3.0 to start recording as soon as a I press the keyboard. Although I've seen it done before. Thanks for all the info. Sounds like there are improvements but I'm in no hurry.

www.myspace.com/mastamndbeats

Last edited:
MastaMnd said:
I have had 3.0 for about 1 1/2 and it works for me. The only thing so far that I'm intrigued about 4.0 is the Re-Groove thing. I haven't read anything about it, but it sounds like something worth having. What does it do? Does it have the ability to take a Re-Drum pattern and give it more groove than playing with the Shuffle option would? I never really messed Grooves or Re-grooves or anything like that. Like does it give the track the same effect as having a loop (drums) underneath the whole track or something? I'm very interested in see what it can do! The pre-count sounds nice too. Cuz I still can't get my 3.0 to start recording as soon as a I press the keyboard. Although I've seen it done before. Thanks for all the info. Sounds like there are improvements but I'm in no hurry.

www.myspace.com/mastamndbeats

The new groove device doesn't work on Redrum patterns, they need to be copied to track first. Basically, it's like a real time groove quantize thing. But it's non-destructive as it works in real time. The notes in the sequencer aren't moved at all, it's all done on the fly. There's a series of files - which are presumably MIDI data, which can be loaded in and you can map different instruments to different channels, each of which can have a groove setting. Some of the timings are MPC as well.

There's info on the propellerheads site which will be in more depth, or I think you can freely download the manual.

Not got into it too much myself yet.

Back