Any Tips on making vocals sound better?!

Neuanfang

Neuanfang
I've been working on this track for about 2 weeks now, Everything is sounding good, but I feel like the vocals are not really up to par... I'm kind of new to editing vocals, I won't lie.

Any compression tips?

It sounds really good but I'm stuck because the vocals are loud and when I turn the volume down it's too quiet

I would start by lowering everything else around it. Then when you lower the vocal you will have it sitting on top. You will want to add an Eq to make the Vocal cut through the mix, and then cut the audio around the Freq that you just boosted. Then you should add the compression to control the vocal that is pushing through the mix. This is only one method of controlling the vocal. The vocal track may also need to automation on the fader as well to keep louder portions of the take under control.

As with any mixing you need to ensure that you start with everything as loud as possible

Then you lower the level of anything that is obscuring your first point of interest not to the point of making it stand out, but just so that it is audible above everything else

Repeat for each new area of interest - leaving those areas that have already been set as they are.

Only when you cannot achieve this by changing levels alone do you need to consider using a compressor on a troublesome track - remember that a compressor is about adjusting the dynamic profile of the sound not for amplifying it or otherwise making it louder

Now consider eq

Readjust levels if needed to accommodate the new level that the applied eq is creating for each track/channel

Now consider fx - insert vs send fx is an important consideration and is about whether you want to create a unique sound prior to the mix stage or want to add shine/shimmer/space/etc with control of much fx comes back from each device used

In the case of insert fx you may need to reset all levels again, and pay special attention to the wet/dry mix of each fx in the chain

In the case of send fx, you only have to have the fx come back as 100% wet and can bring back only as much as is needed to add the fx to the mix itself.

Master channel adjustments may be necessary if you want to create a total mix fx or fade in or out

Which brings us to automation - use this where you know you will need to drop fx in and out and where you know you will need to adjust levels/eq/etc as a result

Use snapshots to capture the state of the board at each critical juncture in the mix and then use these as automation hitpoints - points where mix values must be set to specific settings either gradually or immediately

The above is why it takes so long to mix anything and why live engineers go nuts early...... (they have to get it right within seconds rather than days or weeks)

Last edited:
Yep, I don't know how much more info you could get from that guy. Other than that try layering your voice. Then using effects like eq to get rid of desired frequencies. Make your vocals more wide using reverb and Mono/stereo changers. You want your vocals spread out in the stereo field. Maybe add a bit of delay, but all depends on taste.

MAAG Audio EQ4. Hardware or software (Plugin alliance or UAD)
It´s a fantastic tool for just about anything; perfect for getting your vocals to shine in the top in MAAGs magic way without just getting tons of sibilance like you quickly get when just boosting the tops. Look for Air settings on the MAAG.
And - DO NOT - think that this is just another EQ tip and that your stock EQ will do the same.

Now go check out the demo and thank me later.

PS! I´m using Plug In alliances software version of the MAAG 4 EQ. Haven't tested the UAD or the MAAG hardware unit but I hear a lot good about them too.

3 simple rules layering it in 3 parts, add reverb in one, delay in another, deessing, compression and EQ witha parametric EQ. Of course in general when there is a melody under the vocal, the melody volume lower than the vocal volume

cheers

Back