any pointers?

oh_hell_yes

first off Hi! this is my first post on these forums.. so yea... hey.

but i've been workin on my first track and i guess maybe i have too much goin on or something.. i dunno, but it sounds like my hi hats and other percussions are getting canceled out by other freqs in the track at certain points. i've played around with it and its almost gone. but i want to know why this happens how to avoid it, and any tricks to remedy it.

Care to post the track or at least a small clip from it? It'd save us from a lot of guessing to actually hear what's going on.

no doubt... i'm off to work, but i'll hit that up when i get back.

aight so i guess i need a spot to host my track if i want to post a link to it. any suggestions?. i don't have any money for webspace and i don't think my webservice gives me any so....

Last edited:
oh_hell_yes said:
...it sounds like my hi hats and other percussions are getting canceled out by other freqs in the track at certain points.
Hi hats are in the higher frequencies, so they'll have to compete with other high frequency instruments... high notes on a piano, guitar, strings, xylophone, ect. With percussion, it depends. Shakers are pretty high up. Congas, bongos, ect are similar to drums, with pieces covering several frequency ranges. When two conflicting instruments hit at the same time, the one with the lower volume will probably disappear.

oh_hell_yes said:
...i've played around with it and its almost gone. but i want to know why this happens how to avoid it, and any tricks to remedy it.
It happens because the instruments share the same frequency range. It's the equivelent of 2 people trying to stand in the exact same spot.

You can avoid it by:

• Planning your arrangement better, and limiting the use of instruments with similar frequencies.
  • Panning instruments with similar frequencies to opposite sides of the stereo field.
  • Cutting/boosting frequencies as needed. Boost a freq range for one, attenuate it on the other.
  • Not having instruments with similar frequencies playing at the same time.

Back