Another Quantize Thread

Henningway

Experimentalist
This is the first thread I ever started in this whole forum,

I was just wondering:

DO YOU QUANTIZE OR NOT AND WHY?

-

I heard this interview once with this producer named Dibiase and something he said made me want to stop quantizing and I never have since.

I personally don't in order to keep a human/laid-back feel. Quantization make your music more robotic; it can serve well in a certain music context like more clubby oriented stuffs. But in reality there is no rules, just follow your own way. As a former drummer, i also think that you can't get the "groove" thing with 100% quantized song.

No truth here, just one guy opinion...

When I first started off quantize was my guide, but now i just love to make beats that got a swing to em, i think i heard it called 'loose drums'

I guess it depends on the type of beats/style sequence that you are working on. If and when I do quantize I use the 1/16 with a 52%. Just do what fits your taste. "If it sounds good, it is good" no rules!

For my style of music quantizing is out of the question. My groove is at the heart of everything I do. I know it works for some forms of dance music though, it's just not my bag.

Really depends... With drums i tend to quantize the kick and maybe the snare somtimes to keep the groove solid... But the hat, cymbals and percussion i tend to play out.. On logic theres a quantize strength feature... Comes in handy..

Back