Another how is this sound achieved thread...

dactyl

This is another one of those threads, but I'm hoping to get some suggestions. I am trying to figure out what is being used to give the choppy/echo effect to the lead sound in this song:

He begins playing the sound on the Korg nanoKey at 0:51, but he then seems to tweak some effect on the iPad to make it even choppier sounding. I'm still a noob, with only about 6 months producing, so I'm hoping what is being used will be obvious to someone with more experience. It sounds to me like there is a delay involved, but I don't know if that is the only thing causing it. Any input would be very appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't hear any "extra choppiness;" I think it's just the sound and the staccato way he played it (the keyboard parts). There is definitely a delay and it sounds like he was tweaking a band-pass filter (fancy eq patch, basically)...

GJ

I don't hear any "extra choppiness;" I think it's just the sound and the staccato way he played it (the keyboard parts). There is definitely a delay and it sounds like he was tweaking a band-pass filter (fancy eq patch, basically)...

GJ

Much appreciated. I'm still training my ear to these things, so I'm sure the way I described it wasn't quite right, but this is helpful. I'm going to try to reproduce it after work today, just because I really like the way it sounds.

Back